German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am new to the site but have been following discussions on here for awhile now.

I have an 11 month old male Shepherd named Karma ( my daughter named him I know the name is better for a girl dog lol) ..
He is full of life and energy and is the smartest pup I can say I’ve owned this far. We live in northwestern Ontario in Canada. Hes a bit of a goof ball and is an odd shepherd as he rarely barks. But we love him like crazy!
I’m looking forward to talking with everyone!
9D311753-1743-4F36-93F1-DECE544A78E6.jpeg

·
Registered
466 Posts
Welcome to the forum and Karma sure is a handsome fella. Both my young GSD's had to be taught how and when to bark.
The current one now barks, if and when we hear a noise around the house, and I say "What's that?"
The last one learned the word "speak". Once she knew it was OK to bark, she had a scarey BEAR BARK whenever the
black bears were on my property.

I had to pretend to make bark- woof woof noises to tech them both. Sounds silly but it worked.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! And that’s a great idea I will try doing that, I just worry he won’t bark if there’s ever an intruder for a warning bark..even if someone comes to visit he just runs to the door all happy but no bark nothing. I always thought it was strange for a German shepherd to not be on the protective alert side.
on the other hand he’s a sweetheart with a goofy personality lol I love him

·
Registered
466 Posts
As you build your relationship with Karma, he will look at your face for gestures and will decide IF you're concerned.
When I taught the "What's that?" for strange noises outside my home, I also had a concerned/scared look on my face.
Heidi picked up on the facial look immediately. Because I live out on a farm and after dark I don't like strange noises
outside, Heidi now guards the house from inside. It's most likely wild animals she's barking at but that's OK, she's still
guarding the place.
They are so easy to teach these things to. You just have to decide how you want them to react and break it down into small segments for them to learn what you want.

·
Super Moderator
7,226 Posts
Thank you! And that’s a great idea I will try doing that, I just worry he won’t bark if there’s ever an intruder for a warning bark..even if someone comes to visit he just runs to the door all happy but no bark nothing. I always thought it was strange for a German shepherd to not be on the protective alert side.
on the other hand he’s a sweetheart with a goofy personality lol I love him
He’s big but he’s just a kid, let him mature ;)
I look at it in the same way as not expecting a 6th grader to protect the house.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
He's awesome and will naturally come into his own. When he hits two, he'll be a completely different dog.

Karma is a great name, too.

Best of luck with him.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yes, wait till he's past 1 a bit and then you'll be wishing back to now. We have to close our blinds on the lower level because of all of the barking with people walking, dogs walking, squirrels and delivery trucks.

The pups who don't have an older "barking mentor" take a little longer.

Reactions: Karma’sMom
1 - 11 of 11 Posts