German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am not yet a GSD owner and have need of advice! I want to get a GSD but I have a disability. I have a muscle problem and my vocal cords are also affected. Here are my questions:

1.) do I have to be able to be a jogger / runner to work off the energy of a GSD? I can hike vigorously but cannot jog.

2.) my ability to speak comes and goes. I'm thinking of training a dog with hand signals mostly. I know GSDs are very smart; is this possible?

Thank you!!

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Contrary to popular belief you do NOT have to be an Olympic athlete to own a German Shepherd.

Walks, hikes, fetch and games will suffice. I used to stomp my foot and the dogs would race around the yard at full speed, when they circled back by me I would stomp again and off they would race.

I owned a deaf dog, not a GSD, who obviously was taught hand signs. Field dogs are taught hand signs and whistles, no reason a GSD needs verbal commands. My patrol dogs were worked on hand signs if we needed to be quiet.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Welcome!!!!! I actually had trained Sasha both verbally and with hand signals - this has come in handy now that at her age she only hears what she wants ;) but she comes trotting over when I give her the come hand signal!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts