German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just brought home my newest family member, Ragnar, a purebred GSD and the breeder sent me a link to his pedigree. Now what I find is cool is all the German ancestors (if that's what you call it) and he also has a lot of good or normal tested grandparents.

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/breeding.result?father=1883997&mother=1884014

How would you say this is and what does it all mean haha

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Your puppy is a mix of West German Show Lines, German working lines, American/Canadian show lines, and what we call "pet lines" - generic german shepherds of no particular line.

You got a bit of everything in there!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your puppy is a mix of West German Show Lines, German working lines, American/Canadian show lines, and what we call "pet lines" - generic german shepherds of no particular line.

Wow, not sure how to process that one lol

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
That's pretty cool. I have no clue about pedigree charts either. I have an AKC registration cert for Mei but how do I look up a pedigree like that? On Mei's certificate the dam and sire have AKC registration numbers too. How do I conduct a search with these numbers?

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Mei, you can't get the info from AKC without paying a fee. That's why there are independent databases like the pedigree database. They are NOT official databases - the information is entered by the dog owner, or other individuals who are interested in the different GSD lines, so it is not infallible. However, the moderators on the site do their best to make sure the information is accurate and complete. You won't need the parent's numbers, just their names. If they are not in the database, try the grandparents, or do a search on the kennel name.

If you register on the site, you can enter the info on your dog and its ancestors yourself. Just be sure to go by the rules, which are stated here: http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/community.read?post=900453-attention--akc-members-entering-dog-pedigrees

General Forum

·
Registered
813 Posts

I was thinking the same thing.

Our pups have a few of the same dogs in their pedigrees

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I was thinking the same thing.

Our pups have a few of the same dogs in their pedigrees
Oh that's awesome. I've never been able to track a dogs family before, so cool.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
He looks adorable in your profile!

Can I give you some advice, and I hope you don't take it as a slam or anything, or doom and gloom as your pup is probably great :) You said yourself you may have missed a few questions for a breeder as a first time buyer. A big question you most likely missed here is HD ratings on your pup's ancestry. There is a LOT of "no info on hips" in this pedigree. It is probably fine, but do yourself a HUGE favor and get him something like Petplan insurance asap. There are brief waiting periods for things but in a few weeks your pup will be fully covered for even things like HD treatment.

To give you an idea, I pay 70 per month for the best plan option for my dog. It covers everything except for routine check ups and vaxes. It covers HD treatment including total hip replacement. I have a 3k per year deductible, everything else beyond that is covered with no cap. Also covers $$ of dog in the event of his death due to illness or accident. Also covers a behaviorist if recommended by a vet.

They absolutely have lower priced plans, they may have a higher deductible, a cap on what they will pay for year, or both. I also have my rescue little pit covered. In any event it is good to have. Some people say to me save the 70 per month in a vet fund..in my opinion the 840 a year is worth it. I know my max vet bill for illness or accident, per year, will 3,840 bucks. And if no emergencies? Great. 840 bucks total per year. I know someone who recently had a bone tumor come up in a perfectly healthy well bred dog. They are well past 10k within weeks...that would be over 10 years of saving the "70 per month" on insurance...

Anyway, without (it appears) hip dysplasia testing being thorough in your new pups lines, I would highly recommend the investment of insurance. It can't hurt and it coveres all of the other what ifs.

Good luck with your pup, he is adorable!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He looks adorable in your profile!

Can I give you some advice, and I hope you don't take it as a slam or anything, or doom and gloom as your pup is probably great /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif You said yourself you may have missed a few questions for a breeder as a first time buyer. A big question you most likely missed here is HD ratings on your pup's ancestry. There is a LOT of "no info on hips" in this pedigree. It is probably fine, but do yourself a HUGE favor and get him something like Petplan insurance asap. There are brief waiting periods for things but in a few weeks your pup will be fully covered for even things like HD treatment.

To give you an idea, I pay 70 per month for the best plan option for my dog. It covers everything except for routine check ups and vaxes. It covers HD treatment including total hip replacement. I have a 3k per year deductible, everything else beyond that is covered with no cap. Also covers $$ of dog in the event of his death due to illness or accident. Also covers a behaviorist if recommended by a vet.

They absolutely have lower priced plans, they may have a higher deductible, a cap on what they will pay for year, or both. I also have my rescue little pit covered. In any event it is good to have. Some people say to me save the 70 per month in a vet fund..in my opinion the 840 a year is worth it. I know my max vet bill for illness or accident, per year, will 3,840 bucks. And if no emergencies? Great. 840 bucks total per year. I know someone who recently had a bone tumor come up in a perfectly healthy well bred dog. They are well past 10k within weeks...that would be over 10 years of saving the "70 per month" on insurance...

Anyway, without (it appears) hip dysplasia testing being thorough in your new pups lines, I would highly recommend the investment of insurance. It can't hurt and it coveres all of the other what ifs.

Good luck with your pup, he is adorable!
Wow. No I love your advice! I will be looking into this for sure. I should have asked about it, the first time I went there I was actually greeted by about 10 of her dogs swarming me haha. There ages ranged and each one seemed healthy and mobile. But this us deff something I need to look at, again tha k

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
No problem! Even when parents and lineage have all been tested, you can get one that has HD. Often it never bothers them, but when it does it is nice to have options :)

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Also, keep in mind that there is no way to see if a dog has a genetic health issue just by looking at him/her. That is why the health tests are so important. People come to my house and see my female bouncing around and bringing her stuffed animals to them, and they assume she's healthy. They are always shocked when I list the mass amounts of health issues she has. They never would have guessed by looking at her.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts