German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I've recently being doing research on finding a dog for our family and decided the GSD was perfect for us. I personally have had many dogs in my lifetime, but this will be the first GSD I'll actually get to raise myself. I remember when I was very young we had a GSD, but then we didn't.

I seem to be having a lot of trouble finding a breeder in my area, Southwest Louisiana. I've found a few websites and even am seriously considering one of them but something is telling me to wait. (I hate when that happens!) Like I've said I've been doing tons of research on how to find a legitimate website, but still am not so sure. The main thing that is bothering me is that the breeder has yet to ask me any questions at all. I offered information about myself and the breeder didn't seem really interested. I don't know why that rubs me the wrong way. :/

If anyone here is from Louisiana that could offer some advice, I'd greatly appreciate it. Any questions or comments would be so helpful.

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I would not be interested in a breeder that does not ask "me" anything.

It might help to list what you are looking for in a german shepherd and what you are NOT looking for in a german shepherd:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Jakoda!

What I'm looking for in a German Shepherd is a basically a loyal family companion. A puppy that can get a long with my young male cat. I know I will have to socialize the two, but a puppy raised around cats would probably be beneficial. I would also like to be able to run and/or jog with him/her at some point since I do that regularly. The gender of the puppy is not as important because I will be "fixing" the puppy as soon as he/she is old enough and the color isn't top priority either. (Although I do love the black and coppery colored ones!)

I don't plan on doing any dog "shows" or anything of that sort. So I wouldn't need a dog that is "show" quality. < What does that even mean? I see that on a lot of websites.

Basically, as long as I can find a pure bred German Shepherd puppy that can become a great companion I would be satisfied!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Thanks for the reply Jakoda!

What I'm looking for in a German Shepherd is a basically a loyal family companion. A puppy that can get a long with my young male cat. I know I will have to socialize the two, but a puppy raised around cats would probably be beneficial. I would also like to be able to run and/or jog with him/her at some point since I do that regularly. The gender of the puppy is not as important because I will be "fixing" the puppy as soon as he/she is old enough and the color isn't top priority either. (Although I do love the black and coppery colored ones!)

I don't plan on doing any dog "shows" or anything of that sort. So I wouldn't need a dog that is "show" quality. < What does that even mean? I see that on a lot of websites.

Basically, as long as I can find a pure bred German Shepherd puppy that can become a great companion I would be satisfied!
I would recommend an adult dog. A puppy requires housebreaking, training and lots of exercise. If your heart is still set on a puppy, you should find a breeder or better yet, a GSD Rescue organization in your state that can match you with a puppy that will be a family companion and have a low energy drive appropriate to one. Matching a dog to a human takes trial and error and its personality and temperament have to reflect yours and in that respect every dog is as unique as the human it bonds with. Don't go by the breed standard and good luck in your finding the GSD of your dreams!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts