German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I just bought a 12 week old GSD. Female, Very sweet. But i'm having problems with her not wanting to go potty outside. Like she refuses to go. My understanding is, the breeder has 26 acres and they fenced in a large part of yard for the mom,dad and siblings. One of the owners said they had wood shavings outside so the pup would reference that to the potty area. I bought some, placed outside in our fenced yard over top a puppy pad. Still wont go. We will be outside and play with her, i'll sit down and let her rome around, sniff etc. Nothing. And when we come in, she starts whining and relieves herself in the house. I successfully potty trained our Olde English Bulldogge, So I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if she is just so scared that she wont go until I put her in a kennel. I did put a puppy pad in the kennel once and she went in a peed, But I thought you didn't want to have several potty areas or they'll get confused. Maybe I should start with puppy pads and work our way outdoors? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to do everything I can to make her feel comfortable.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
How big is the crate?

ETA: I’m asking if it’s big enough for her to pee in one place and sleep in another without touching it. If yes, confine her to a smaller area.

Reactions: Findlay

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm too stubborn for that. You'd find me out in the yard laying in the grass reading a book with a puppy tethered to my foot for ten hours if I had to, treats at the ready.

*Side note: Yes, I know that's not feasible for everyone, but I would do it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts