German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

New to this group, love what I have read in the forum so far everyone seems to be respectful and knowledgeable! I am currently looking to find a German shepherd puppy to add to my family! I am in love with the DDR East German Shepherds! I especially love when they have the yellow eyes, attached below is a DDR German Shepherd I cam across named Ryker who has the exact markings I am looking for in a puppy. Looking for a male and definitely a puppy! I am looking for a reputable breeder who backs their lineage and health of their dogs as well as being an ethically responsible organization, not looking for a puppy farm that pumps out lots of dogs and treats the puppies and other dogs poorly. Also would love a breeder who is knowledgeable and interested in following up with the care and growth of the puppy!

Thanks in advance I appreciate any and all help!

·
Super Moderator
9,506 Posts
besides their color, how much do you know and what else attracts you to the DDR line?

to be honest, Ryker doesn’t even strike me as being DDR but i’m not experienced in reading pedigrees.

edit: nevermind, i was looking at Ryker thru the lens of assuming she were male. my bad.

Reactions: mnm and Sabis mom

·
Registered
Kona (2F)- Von Rief Kennels
37 Posts
This dog is from Von Jakoba right? I know of them, some people have mixed things to say but idk. DDrs are gorgeous but they are intense. Do you have experience with any other working dogs? Not that it couldn’t be done, no one is born with years of working dog experience, just really research the drive and needs of this line of gsds. I’m sure others on this forum with experience of these lines are more knowledgeable than me 😊 Good luck on your puppy search!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
besides their color, how much do you know and what else attracts you to the DDR line?

to be honest, Ryker doesn’t even strike me as being DDR but i’m not experienced in reading pedigrees.
I would say that I am about intermediately informed about the DDR breed, I have definitely done some research about the different GS breed types. I would be open to other types assuming they matched the looks of ryker. I like the DDR type because of their temperament, I am an active person and also working on my own training skills, started with a rotti 9 years ago, this seems like a good next step. As well as just having a good companion outside of training and activities!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This dog is from Von Jakoba right? I know of them, some people have mixed things to say but idk. DDrs are gorgeous but they are intense. Do you have experience with any other working dogs? Not that it couldn’t be done, no one is born with years of working dog experience, just really research the drive and needs of this line of gsds. I’m sure others on this forum with experience of these lines are more knowledgeable than me 😊 Good luck on your puppy search!
Yea ryker is from jakoba, really would have loved to get a puppy from them but they aren’t currently breeding and it could be years before I could get a dog from them. Yea I am mid level training wise definitely no expert but worked with my rotti for 9 years alongside some really good dog trainers. This would be my first working dog but think I can handle it, not afraid to hit the books or hire help if I feel out of my realm. I wouldn’t purchase a dog and not give them the help they or I need to be a happy healthy puppy!

·
Registered
609 Posts
I would be cautious about a breeder that advertises as a DDR breeder or breeds for yellow eyes. Those would be red flags in my opinion.
I know someone asked this before but what attracts you specifically to DDR? If it’s sable and work ethic, you can get that without being DDR.
Many reputable breeders breed many different working lines together. For example, my boy has west German, Czech and DDR in his heritage.
It looks like you want an active companion rather than for sport. Do you have a specific region of the country you are hoping to get the dog from?

·
Registered
867 Posts
You would likely have a better chance of finding a dog that will fit your wants and needs by looking more broadly at European working lines. The 'look' you are after can be found across all European working lines, and finding a breeder who looks more to overall temperament by mixing the different lines than focussing on just DDR or just Czech, for example, will be far easier to find.

There are still some breeders who breed 'pure' DDR and Czech lines, and fewer that breed those dogs to try to continue what those, now defunct programs tried to achieve. They are few and far between, and arguably, that type of dog may not even be what you are looking for. Most breeders that advertise 'pure DDR' are breeding for aesthetic to appeal to the buyer that wants the 'black sable' look.

·
Super Moderator
5,904 Posts
Instead of narrowing down the search to such a very select line, as pure DDR dogs are almost gone, I suggest you really define what it is you want in a dog and then search out breeders that strive for those qualities.

I understand the draw to DDR dogs, particularly in the looks department, but they can be slow to mature and challenging to train using modern methods. There are breeders that produce dark, big boned dogs that are a blend of lines which will be easier to handle. My pup has a fair amount of DDR in his pedigree, but he isn't a typical DDR dog to work.

·
Registered
11,649 Posts
Also I learned to become flexible in using the methods geared to the dog I have in front of me. Positive only doesn't work when these kinda dogs get older after puppy hood. At some point they just have to listen. My dog Deja is awesome and I adore her but sometimes she still needs a correction so we maintain that bond.

·
Registered
11,649 Posts
Instead of narrowing down the search to such a very select line, as pure DDR dogs are almost gone, I suggest you really define what it is you want in a dog and then search out breeders that strive for those qualities.

I understand the draw to DDR dogs, particularly in the looks department, but they can be slow to mature and challenging to train using modern methods. There are breeders that produce dark, big boned dogs that are a blend of lines which will be easier to handle. My pup has a fair amount of DDR in his pedigree, but he isn't a typical DDR dog to work.

View attachment 576501
View attachment 576502
OMG, what a masculine beauty!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would be cautious about a breeder that advertises as a DDR breeder or breeds for yellow eyes. Those would be red flags in my opinion.
I know someone asked this before but what attracts you specifically to DDR? If it’s sable and work ethic, you can get that without being DDR.
Many reputable breeders breed many different working lines together. For example, my boy has west German, Czech and DDR in his heritage.
It looks like you want an active companion rather than for sport. Do you have a specific region of the country you are hoping to get the dog from?
Yea makes sense, I would definitely be open to other types within the German shepherd breed for the right temperament. I am from Pennsylvania in the US but I am open to buying from anywhere location wise to be honest. The breeders quality as people, as an organization and puppies that match what I am looking for are the most important things to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

View attachment 576501
View attachment 576502
Great dog! I am definitely open to options. I would say most important to me is the health of the puppy, having it backed by the breeder and it’s lineage being from other dogs who lived long healthy lives. Next I would say the breeder themselves someone who is knowledgeable, really cares about the dogs during their time with the breeder and after being adopted. Then I would say third would be a tie between looks and temperament, probably leaning more towards temperament then looks. I do love the look of ryker but want a really great companion!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Quite a few excellent breeders not too far from you if you are in PA. My male, Omen, is from Wolfstraum who is a PA breeder and is an active member of this forum - @wolfstraum ... Lee may not have any available puppies but can certainly point you in the right direction. There are also a number of other great breeders in PA and NY that others in the forum can likely recommend as a starting point.

Omen is a pretty good representation of the aesthetic Lee produces, as her dogs are from a very strong female line that really stamps her litters with both look and excellent temperament.

·
Super Moderator
5,904 Posts
Great dog! I am definitely open to options. I would say most important to me is the health of the puppy, having it backed by the breeder and it’s lineage being from other dogs who lived long healthy lives. Next I would say the breeder themselves someone who is knowledgeable, really cares about the dogs during their time with the breeder and after being adopted. Then I would say third would be a tie between looks and temperament, probably leaning more towards temperament then looks. I do love the look of ryker but want a really great companion!
While I agree that your list includes important criteria, you have yet to describe what you want in a dog. Everyone wants a healthy dog and a supportive breeder. I strongly suggest you go to some clubs and meet dogs and owners. I would say that the temperament of available GSDs varies as greatly as their appearance. A sharp dog with lots of defense or prey drive can be a handful, and dangerous in the wrong environment.

·
Super Moderator
5,904 Posts
Quite a few excellent breeders not too far from you if you are in PA. My male, Omen, is from Wolfstraum who is a PA breeder and is an active member of this forum - @wolfstraum ... Lee may not have any available puppies but can certainly point you in the right direction. There are also a number of other great breeders in PA and NY that others in the forum can likely recommend as a starting point.

Omen is a pretty good representation of the aesthetic Lee produces, as her dogs are from a very strong female line that really stamps her litters with both look and excellent temperament.

View attachment 576504
Lee breeds wonderful dogs. She is on my very short list.

·
Registered
27,329 Posts
spartanville, in Michigan breeds dominantly DDR lines. If that is really what you want, contact Connie.

Reactions: David Winners

·
Super Moderator
9,506 Posts
i’m glad to see that you’re now open. like David said, you still haven’t mentioned any of the specifics as far as what you’re looking for in a dog. what does good temperament mean to YOU? from a training perspective, with limited experience... DDR dogs are often regarded as being the least* trainable of the gsd lines (*specifically with modern methods as previously mentioned). sometimes it’s not so much about being able to handle a particular dog, or hiring professional trainers to assist.... as it is enjoying the training experience.

professionally, i work with all types (of a different breed), but a flashy food driven dog is a breeze to train, enjoyable, feels like a vacation and makes me look good to my supervisors 😛 ....other times that gets old and i want more of a challenge to further develop my skill set.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts