German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got Sammy in June a couple days after my 14 y/o wolf hybrid passed away. He's currently 91 lbs and just over 8 months old. He's a good boy but sure gets into mischief in the back yard when I'm at work. He tears my pipe insulation off an exposed pipe every time I put it back on to keep it from freezing. Other than that and some other stuff like digging holes (how do I stop that) he's great. I am wondering if I should get him neutered? I have no papers on him so no money to be made by that. Thoughts?

Here are some short video clips of him...

diving into pool at 2 months!

fetch

shake

doesn't like milkbones

his little pool:

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Hello Alabama! I am from Fairhope, AL near Mobile!!!!

Please Neuter!! and for the pipes I found my dogs responded well by sprinkling black pepper on some tape and wrapping it around the spot they chew on ( you might have to replace this for a few weeks) and it is good to sprinkle black pepper in your trash cans for a while , this will keep them from sniffing around it too. this has wroked for all my dogs my entire life.
As for digging , I bought a electric fence with voltage safe for puppies (not for cattle). It took my retriever about 2 wks and she stopped.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Welcome, Sammy is a good looking boy! Thanks for sharing the video. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcomes! If i neuter him, will he become lazy and fat? Will he lose intensity? I don't want him to be a wimpy whiner. (he whines a lot already for some reason. Is that typical? When I come home to hang with him for lunch, while I am preparing my food, he whines and whines lying on the floor.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Thanks for the welcomes! If i neuter him, will he become lazy and fat? Will he lose intensity? I don't want him to be a wimpy whiner. (he whines a lot already for some reason. Is that typical? When I come home to hang with him for lunch, while I am preparing my food, he whines and whines lying on the floor.
No he will not become lazy and fat if you neuter him. If you dont overfeed him and he gets daily exercise then he should be a healthy, in shape dog. He will not lose his drive.

GSD's can be whiney, but your dog is only 9 months old, he's still a pup and he's happy to see you and probably knows you're going to leave him again.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Welcome to the forum! As everyone has stated Sammy will not become fat and lazy!! If he puts on weight just cut back on his food. Neutering did not effect my boy(Victor)one bit. He is just as active as he ever was. He still has all the same stamina/energy as before the neuter.

As far as the whining it is a GSD thing. They are very vocal dogs. Victor whines and groans and Jamie barks and groans a lot. It is just something GSDs do. Neutering will not make him any more or less whiny.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts