German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello. Thanks for letting me join this forum. I'm a new owner to german shepherds but not to dogs. My girls name is Ryley. So a customer of mine which breeds german shephers had a 5 month old female puppy which happened to have a grade 3 heart murmur. She was offered to me for free with papers. She is a fantastic pup I must say and she fits in well with my family. Now I've only had her for a week. I've already taken her to my vet which I've used for years. I got her her next set of shots and a check up. My vet confirmed she does have a grade 3 heart murmur. Other then that she is healthy. She eats well, very social and listens quite well for a puppy. My question is , does anybody have any experience with grade 3 heart murmur in a 5 month old puppy? I have been doing a lot of reading up on it. I'm dont have any second thought on taking her either. She's very well loved and being taken care of well to. Any advise or questions are welcome and appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
She is adorable! Welcome to the forum. I have no advice on the heart murmur but it sounds like you got a great puppy and I am sure others will chime in soon. If not start a thread in the health section, most of us just scroll for threads that interest or that we can contribute to.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Welcome! I also have ne insight or experience with a heart murder, but I really did want to chime in and commend you for giving her a loving home! I'm guessing "grade 3" means it's pretty severe, but hopefully you'll have many great years with this girl!

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Sorry for the typos, or spell check errors in my post, didn't check it closely enough after posting, and when I did it was too late to edit! Hopefully it is obvious that I meant to say "no" experience, and " heart murmurs" not murders! At any rate, thanks again for taking this girl and giving her a good home!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the warm welcome! Yes she is a great girl! I did add a post in health issues in regards to her heart murmur so let's see what advise and helpful tips I can get :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Welcome

I have not much insights on this, but all I can think of is to make sure she doesn’t overdo exercise/play. She looks adorable.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My GSD Max had a heart murmur when he was little.
At 5 months it went away. The vet said that this is not too uncommon. He is now 70 lbs at 7 months.

My Scottish Terrier Duncan had a heart murmur for half of his life and made it to 15 years old.
I did have to limit Duncan's exercise.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Welcome to the forum! She is very cute, and I hope you get the heart murmur figured out and it isn't too concerning.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hello. Thanks for letting me join this forum. I'm a new owner to german shepherds but not to dogs. My girls name is Ryley. So a customer of mine which breeds german shephers had a 5 month old female puppy which happened to have a grade 3 heart murmur. She was offered to me for free with papers. She is a fantastic pup I must say and she fits in well with my family. Now I've only had her for a week. I've already taken her to my vet which I've used for years. I got her her next set of shots and a check up. My vet confirmed she does have a grade 3 heart murmur. Other then that she is healthy. She eats well, very social and listens quite well for a puppy. My question is , does anybody have any experience with grade 3 heart murmur in a 5 month old puppy? I have been doing a lot of reading up on it. I'm dont have any second thought on taking her either. She's very well loved and being taken care of well to. Any advise or questions are welcome and appreciated!
Congrats on your beautiful girl! I do not know much on murmors but I have one relative who had one as a child and it closed on its own. I have another relative who required heart surgery. Hopefully yours will close on its own or a grade 3 is just very minor and there will be no or minor effects.

·
Super Moderator
4,803 Posts
I am glad that your client was able to find a family, you, who would give her a good life. Some breeders would simply have put the gal down. She is adorable.

I don't know anything about level 3 murmur. I had a little mix with a "slight murmur". She lived until 12 and passed from a liver issue.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Welcome to the forum and what an adorable puppy! I can't help you with the heart murmur question, but I'm sure others will chime in (this is a very helpful bunch). Uh, is it my monitor or is your puppy's left ear turquoise? If it's not my monitor why is her left ear turquoise? :)

Aly

1 - 12 of 12 Posts