German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to breed my female pending her OFA results. Any advice to give to a new breeder? How do you all price your puppies? I of course want to ensure they go to great homes either working or companion and I am wondering if price can truly affect the type of home the puppies go to. I recently had someone tell me that I am a nobody and since I only have one dog it will be difficult to sell the puppies. My thinking on this is that if it is a great breeding between two quality dogs with magnificent temperaments and proven working ability why should it matter that it is my first breeding? If the pups are healthy and well socialized that is what is most important in my mind. Also if anyone can recommend any sites or books that would prepare me that would be fantastic! Thanks all!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Are both the dogs currently titled to prove temperament and working ability? Are the males hips and elbows certified? These things IMO influence whether one should consider breeding or not and influence price a great deal:)

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I think if they are OFA'd, have great temperment, can work or show then you should sell them for at least $1,000. IMO I think that when dogs are of higher price and quality chances are greater that they will end up in a better home than a $300 GSD.

Dont get me wrong, I am not bashing people that didn't spend alot of money on their GSD, or that their GSD is of poor quality. I just know that I paid $600 for my GSD from a BYB and he has some health problems and he is above the standard.

I am not a breeder, I do not know about breeding but that is the way I feel.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I guess it would help if I post the two dogs.
Dam
Potential Sire

My dog is not yet titled. She has been ready for her bh for some time now I really just need to go out and do it. I guess I could go get a cgc but I'd rather have the bh. I do plan to continue to work her once this flaming heat subsides. It has been one heck of a hot summer here.

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
Why have you chosen this sire for your puppies? What does he bring to the litter that your bitch doesn't have?

Also, consider waiting another year to breed your bitch until she is titled, preferably in something higher than a CGC.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
What that sire brings to the table in terms of genetics is very strong work ethic and also very strong nerve. Also, knowing the Czech/Slovak lines the dam is from, this type of breeding is being done in Europe today by some top breeders. Mixing Czech and West workinglines. I would be interested in a puppy from this breeding from a genetic point of view. Would need to confirm abilities of both parents, but I like the genetics.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
I posted about the male bringing more work ethic and nerve before I saw your post about hardness. But I didn't need to see your post as his genetics and his accomplishment of being in a Nationals already told me of his hardness. Good Luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He is truly an amazing dog and I would expect nothing less than extremely high drive pups with a very willing attitude. These types of breedings from Czech to West German seem to be getting some great results which is why I opted to out cross her. The Dam is the kind of dog that can take a correction and the tail just keeps on wagging and her whole life is pleasing me. She has surpassed my expectations by a million and her attitude just continues to amaze me when it comes to new training, experiences, people and places. All you have to do is look at her to tell she really loves to work she certainly doesn't have to be forced. I definitely don't see this breeding hurting the breed that's for sure.
Thanks for your comments Cliffson! Seems like we think alike :)

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
both dogs are stunning:)

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Beautiful looking dogs!

If it were me breeding (not a breeder in any means, but am a potential purchaser) I would be looking for working titles on both dam and sire. Yes, she may have what it takes but I want to "see it".

Cliff is the one to "know" the dogs pedigree and genetics so I trust his judgment (he has proved to have excellent knowledge in this in the time I have been on the forums) but as a potential purchaser I would want to see the titles on both side.

But, beautiful dogs! I am sure you will get some great pups! Do you plan to keep one back?

·
Registered
27,243 Posts
Is there anyone that can mentor you? Being allowed to share the experience of the actual breeding, whelping and raising of the pups would help you as much as any book.
The BH and CGC are not titles but tests. I would wait to breed your girl until she has at least a
SchH1. Or herding titles if that is your chosen venue.
Get her on the field so others can see what she is made of, you'll have a wait list for reserves by then. If you aren't involved with a club, I'd begin there, many times a member may be a breeder, you could make contacts thru the club~ get a better start there than asking forums for advice.
I wish you luck, the pair you have chosen look great on paper and in pics!

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I am not into working dog lines, but the sire is absolutely awesome looking and has the titles, etc show his quality.

As I said, I am not into the working lines, but my advice for what it is worth, is to join a Schutzhund club, get to know some people, get her titles while you are awaiting the OFAs, that will help you network and know some people with working lines.

I think for pricing, you have to measure the quality of what you are producing against what others are producing in the area. You have a national competitor, theirs is all WGWL or whatever. I think it is important to NOT sell for too cheap. I think that gives the impression that there is some reason for your dogs to be cheap.

The first litter is a hurdle that all breeders must get over. It DOES make a difference. I mean with your hip guarantee, will you offer money back or a puppy out of a future litter? How do they know you will EVER breed again, and if you do, will they be sure that the quality will be the same? Someone with a number of years of experience will definitely have something you do not.

When we buy from a breeder, we are purchasing a puppy and some expertise and possibly lifelong guidance/advice. If you have NEITHER experience OR titles -- meaning never have earned any title, a purchaser will not have that avenue for advice with their dogs.

I think shepherds need training, and coming from a breeder that has taken dogs through a level of training and had the dog evaluated/judged by a non-biased person will help you over that hurdle of a first litter.

What you do not want is to have to repair your reputation down the line.

And people looking for a working line dog might be lurking around schutzhund clubs, people who know people looking for a dog might point them to you if you have friends there. Just a thought.

·
2,967 Posts
As I said, I am not into the working lines, but my advice for what it is worth, is to join a Schutzhund club, get to know some people, get her titles while you are awaiting the OFAs, that will help you network and know some people with working lines.
What Selzer said :)

There are a couple quality females that I have seen regularly at training, and when you see an impressive female...most people want to know when she's going to be bred and to whom. I know I have my eye on another handler's promising female and it's good to watch her grow and go through her training so that if everything turns out in the end...I know I'm interested in the breeding and would definitely take a puppy.

Exposure of your bitch in working venues is going to help you get those homes that you really want- The Working Ones. It will also help build your reputation in the Sport which will make for better networking. Otherwise you're resorting to more conventional methods for selling which are more difficult for screening or you end up keeping the puppies longer until you are able to find the right match on homes.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Why do you bring more size? You can be lucky when they are within the standard and medium sized. The German Shepherd has such a huge problem with dogs outside the standards that I will never understand why people want to have more size.

Good choice on the sire though.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
The German Shepherd has such a huge problem with dogs outside the standards
Apart from some peoples' personal preferences not being met, exactly what are these *HUGE* problems? And in what world are 60, 70, 80, 90+lb dogs considered 'medium size'?

Historically, the GSD was an all around working & companion dog. Size was less important than temperament, work ethic & ability, but the dogs were most frequently large dogs. Some were truly medium sized. Others were very large. Most were & continue to be large.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Apart from some peoples' personal preferences not being met, exactly what are these *HUGE* problems? And in what world are 60, 70, 80, 90+lb dogs considered 'medium size'?
I have often wondered why so many people refer to a GSD as a medium sized dog, too. I think the only time my boy qualified to be called medium was when he was 3 1/2 months old and weighed 42 pounds. Personally, I think anything above fifty pounds is "large" or "extremely large".

1 - 20 of 62 Posts