German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Todays project was rebuilding - reinventing my dogs sleeping quarters. I'm tired of
just have old comforters getting wadded up in his crate, and the other doggie bed
things are just way over the top too high at the stores. So, with a plan hatched in
my mind, I went junk-storing this morning and got a steal of a deal on a used baby
bed mattress and 3 old comforters at the Goodwill store.

Got everything home and the mattress was 6" too long for his crate... No problem,
got the grinder out and took a row of wire panel out at the back of the crate. Then
had a brainstorm that went far above just throwing a comforter in there on top of the
mattress for him to sleep on.

Out comes the scissors, the measuring tape and the sewing machine. Cut the
comforter down to appropriate size, stitched it all back up again, making a huge pillow
case type bag out of it, simply stand the mattress up on end, slide the comforter over
it and walla ..... a comfortable doggie bed with easy covers to remove, wash and put
back on again. After doing the first one, it only took about 30 minutes to cut the other

2 down and re-sew them into pillow case style slip-on covers.

And no bashing me here either.... I'm Ok with the fact that I'm a single guy and own
a sewing machine and know how to use it ....... :):):)

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I don't own a sewing machine but if I did I would make a nice cover for my dog's crib mattress bed too (which I found on trash night and carried home for a mile on my head).

Way to go, Rick! And Welcome to the forum! Now where are the pictures of your dog? :D

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I don't own a sewing machine but if I did I would make a nice cover for my dog's crib mattress bed too (which I found on trash night and carried home for a mile on my head).

Way to go, Rick! And Welcome to the forum! Now where are the pictures of your dog? :D
Ruth, send me an old comforter and the mattress measurements and I'll fix you right up.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Good job!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts

And no bashing me here either.... I'm Ok with the fact that I'm a single guy and own
a sewing machine and know how to use it ....... :):):)
Hey, I'm just jealous! I suppose you can cook, too.... I'm severely Domestically Challenged.

I think I need a bed-sized wire crate to put my mattress in so I can get some of it to myself. It's bad enough that I have to keep reminding Kaija that her spot is closer to the end of the bed than the middle, and definitely not on top of my middle (especially on cold nights); even worse, the dang [email protected] keeps trying to shove me off the bed & just a few minutes ago she woke me out of a sound sleep by leaping onto the bed & landing directly on my bladder. :eek:

(Note: Kaija doesn't have dominance issues & I've made it clear that the bed is MINE, she gets to be on it when I invite her, and I can revoke her bed privileges at any time.)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL Dogaroo.... fact is, yes I do cook, I know how to separate whites from colors in the laundry and I can even iron..... :)

My GSD is off-limits to the bed, but I do have a cat that has slept with me for his 4 years of life, not just on the bed, but he has to be under the covers and crammed right up next to you all night too.... LOL

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I am IMPRESSED!!! Great job, and ya know I always forget about checking out Goodwill for stuff !!

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I'm a single guy, own TWO sewing machines (one computerized, one serger), and I know how to use them both. No bashing here! Nice job on this!

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
LOL Dogaroo.... fact is, yes I do cook, I know how to separate whites from colors in the laundry and I can even iron..... :)

My GSD is off-limits to the bed, but I do have a cat that has slept with me for his 4 years of life, not just on the bed, but he has to be under the covers and crammed right up next to you all night too.... LOL
OMG Will you marry me?!!! :D :rofl:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts