German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my 11-week-old German Shepherd puppy has had a few bumps on his belly and genital area (circled in blue in the picture below). Those may be very itchy, as he has been licking/biting that area. I've just noticed them now but they might have been there since yesterday. There has been no change in foods/treats/toys lately. Is this some kind of disease or is this bug/ant bites ? He was lying down on the sand this morning when I walked him. Should I bring him to the vet ? Thank you !!

·
Registered
10,179 Posts
Fleas? They love sandy areas in the summer. Do you see little brown crumbs on the base of his tail? You can comb that area with a fine comb, wet the comb slightly with stuff and all and smear it on a white paper towel. If you see red/brownish residue, he has fleas. It's their poop on the comb.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I'm thinking maybe sand fleas? Our dogs are treated for fleas, but I spent a week at the beach with a few years back, he got bitten by sand fleas and he licked himself raw, earning himself a week or so in the cone of shame.

Reactions: Kryptoboba

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the replies. The bumps have improved today. I think it's highly likely insects, probably sand fleas. I live in South Carolina and we have a lot of those. I tried combing his tail base as suggested by Wolfy Dog but didn't see any flea poop. I started him on Simparica Trio regardless for prevention of flea/ticks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts