German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rolleyes:
We have begun the search for a new sister for London. He has been SO depressed after losing Olina. (We ALL have.) I know that some people will say to wait awhile before adopting a new German Shepherd after losing one, but that has never worked for me. The best cure for my grief has been to get another GSD ASAP! IMO there are TOO many great dogs on death row that can't wait around for me to get thru with my grieving.

So my question is this.....
London LOVED Olina. They played till the cows came home. He is a big 2 y/o boy, 90#. Olina was a STRONG female at 76# and sturdy. She could rear up and play-wrestle with London. Most of the females I have been "previewing" seem small (50#). I am hesitant to adopt a petite female for fear of London bowling her over. He is not very gentlemanly-like. Not mean, but he is a sable and we all know how they play - ROUGH!

Should I hold out for a big, feisty female GSD like Olina?????
Here is a photo of the 2 of them romping:

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I think you should go with what London likes:) I take it your looking for a rescue?? Most important is that they get along good,,my female tho not a rescue, is 73lbs, and built like a brick you know what house:)) She likes to play rough to..

My aussie is 44 lbs and gives as good as she gets, tho I do supervise:))

Good luck in your search, I'm with ya,,I'd be out looking for one to:)

·
Registered
485 Posts
My female is 66 lbs, and my male is 90 and a bit of a bully - she wins every time! Poor guy spends a lot of time with his feet in the air :) I'm sure the perfect girl for all of you is out there, and I wouldn't let size worry you too much as long as she can keep up with London. Good luck in your search!

From this

To this

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Stark's half sister was about 60lbs while Stark is toping the scales at 85lbs and she would put him on his back - not an easy task as he likes to "win".

I think looking for the right personality/temperament is more important than size really (at least in this case/same breed).

Here's Roxy, Stark's siter and Stark:

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Callan is about 70 lbs and Max has not been weighed in awhile but I would guess him at 85 lbs. Callan can hold her own, as a matter of fact it has always been the males in my house submit to the females meaning they always seem to be on their back at play.

Go with what feels right for you and London, good luck!

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Good luck on your search for a new sister for London. We want pics of the new lucky lady when you get her.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts