German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi.

Just thought I would share my new rescue.

Supposedly, he is 4 years old. Not really sure.

He is pretty big. I havnt been able to weigh him, but the rescue claimed he was 115 lbs.. I dont think he's that much. More like 90.

He's really great.

We named him Whiskey. We have another dog named Tango. An Australian Kelpie and 2 cats.

What do you think? :)

I do have one question. Does he look to be a good weight? He has like a ... jiggely skin ...fold... thing going between his front legs that kind of sways back and forth when he jogs... I'm guessing its fat that needs to get worked off..

I also noticed an interesting behavior i have not seen before. Sometimes when he pees, he covers it up with dirt using his nose....??? Whats that about?

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
He's gorgeous! Don't know about the dirt thing, but I wonder if he might have been 115 lbs and lost some weight? Maybe that's what the skin fold thing is?

Either way, congratulations on your new family member! Love the name :)

Maria

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Very handsome boy. Thank you for rescuing him. He looks like a good weight to me based on your pictures. If you are worried he is over weight, get a reliable weight at your vet and ask the vet for an "honest" opinion on his weight. Many vets are afraid to address weight issues as many owners take offense. Obviously you are not one of those owners and I think your vet will find it refreshing you asked.

Again, thank you for giving him a forever home. :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you :)

When I got him they let me know he had confirmed hip displaysia. (sp?)

So its really important to me to keep him light and fit to make sure his hips last as long as possible.
He doesnt need surgery and doesnt limp or need meds.. hopefully if i keep him light and fit, he wont have a problem for a long time.

I believe, based on the pictures the rescue had of him when they first got him, he was indeed overweight. Because he looks very different to me from those pictures.

These are the pictures of him when they got him.
Is it just me, or does he look much heavier in the old pictures?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,287 Posts
he looks fantastic, definitely overweight in his original pix

1 - 8 of 8 Posts