German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just adopted a 1 1/2 year old female almost a week ago from from a Shepherd rescue organization and she is a very sweet dog. Still acts like a puppy a lot, but is getting adjusted to us very quickly. Anyways, I have a 16 year old cat who doesn't mind dogs much, except when he's been bothered too much and my new girl loves to poke and bother him all the time.
I think she's just curious about him, but he gets fed up with her and tries to paw her away and she jumps back and lets out what sounds like a playful bark, and whines in between. She is wagging her tail, but I'm not really sure about the behavior or if it could escalate into something aggressive? Is there a good way to make sure they can get along or will it just take more time to get used to my cat? i have another German mix who doesn't pay any attention the cat.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
16 year old cat??????? Holy cow....

I've had lots of experience with cats and dogs, and what your describing is play, purely play. I wouldn't worry about aggression unless you NOTICE an attitude change with your pup, like tail placement, if the ears are no longer up. That sort of thing. They will get used to each other in time. Your pup is just curious.... <3

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, that's a relief. She is very playful and very submissive as well. I have seen no aggression from her at all or even food or treat aggressive so I was thinking it was just play, but wanted to ask some expert Shepherd opinions lol. I'm still kind of new to shepherds.

I just get over worried about my cat since I've had him for more than half my life lol

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I would never ever leave the dog and cat unsupervised. You just never know. I have an 18 yr old cat that tolerates dogs very well, he actually thinks he's a dog. He's had his head chewed his whole life, when he's had enough he lets them know. My other cat doesn't tolerate the dogs as well, she likes to rub up against them but no head chewing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The chasing thing bothers me too. I went outside with her at night in the back yard and she saw my cat run and she ran after him, but I know its the prey drive and since its dark she can't see what it is.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
That is prey drive. Didn't the rescue test her with cats? It doesn't sound like she is small animal aggressive. You would have known that immediately. Start teaching her Leave It.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, they did test her with a cat and she did fine with the test cat. Just smelling the cat a lot and very interested. The first two days we had her, she would not leave my cat alone (as far as sniffing and checking out) so I had to bring her away quite a few times, but now she walks past him most times, but stops occasionally to sniff him.

It seems like she almost forgets there is a cat, because sometimes she acts like she hasn't seen him before and looks just as interested as when she first saw him :confused:

I don't plan on leaving her alone with my cat for quite a while, but since there is a dog door that the dogs and cat use, then its hard to watch her all the time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have 2 cats that were raised as 5 Week old kittens with my late gsd female rescue .I introduced the baby's to her when she was 6yrs old & already set in her ways. She had been PG when I adopted her but the shelter aborted her babies when she was p/u by city catcher. When I brought her home from shelter she constantly looked in and out of closets and corners, I believe she was looking for her pups. I don't know just thinking. All was great with her as kittens grew they became very attached thought she was mom. But she (Heidi) I have a hard time saying her name still after 8 yrs, best dog ever. So now I finally adopted another gsd from city shelter 2 yrs old very very sweet with people but had been returned from previous adoption for chasing small dog man had already. I was told this and even had to sign papers that he was aggressive and would be put down if I returned him because he killed my cat. The government is way out of control. it was Christmas Eve the staff wanted to leave work early and they were quite rude. So here I am, my cats live in my bedroom their litter box is in my shower (that's where they usually were anyway) and they have the run of the house at night when gsd (Lacoda) goes to bed in his own bedroom with door firmly shut. All seems ok but I'm never totally at ease, its only been 5 weeks. Pagoda has 2x pushed his way into my bedroom and I only saw a tail disappear under bed before I reached him, the second time was also my fault(as accidents always are, I believe in "no bad dogs" only human error) I left bedroom door open by mistake we came in from a walk and of course Lacoda being a high prey drive purebred was 2 steps ahead of me and had both cats sighted on the top shelf of my closet, his nose just touching the shelf, if he bounced...well you guess. Sorry for the long story but I'm asking for any suggestions and all details are necessary. Thank you for any comments or your long story ill gladly read. God bless all, Nancy

·
Registered
16,070 Posts
I remember reading somewhere (OK lousy research but its the best I can do tonight) that dogs often see cats differently outdoors. That is, your cat may be safe from the dog when they are indoors but if the cat is outside with the dog it may not be safe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts