German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Day number two of the lost dog here with us. He is a big ol' 2-3 yo intact WL male. I think he has been a pet kinda buddy to someone. He is well cared for.

It makes me now appreciate all the time and training I have put in with my dogs. This fellow seems to be fairly under exposed to things. I don't think his nerves are weak per se, though.

He does not know about crating. OH boy, well there is no option in this household with the big Hogan pup, the snarky females, the antique Border Collie. The weather outside is frigid. I don't know what he will do when the train practically runs through the backyard either. Soooo, he has to crate.

I am not enjoying holding the collar and pushing from behind on this big guy with him resisting ( and whining, vocal guy). So far he has made no move of ill will toward me in this little wrestling match. He won't go in for food thrown in.

Any ideas how to do a better job with him?

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I've done the push-from-behind-while-holding-the-collar thing with several fosters too and so far *knock on wood* haven't been bitten. I always treat after they go in, even if I have to push them. If it helps, I've never had to push them in for more than a couple of days. After a while they figure out that they're going one way or another.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Anytime I get inside of Sage's crate he wants in his crate :rofl:

Doubt that is going to work in this situation though :)

What about something super awesome like a fresh knuckle bone?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts