German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had her for a week, she's a great dog, haven't had any issues and her training is coming along fantastic, she's even being super good around the cat.

She was being neglected in rural northeast Alabama, she weighed about 28lbs when my friend who fostered her for a week picked her up. She's at 33lbs now and her ideal weight should be around 37lbs, no more than 40lbs. She was kept outside 24/7, her ears are a little chewed up on the tips from the elements, and she's got a sore on her leg. She got her heartworm test yesterday, just waiting with fingers crossed that she's negative. I picked her up in Richmond, Virginia last Sunday, a transport run got her to there from Alabama. Her name was Maggie, but she didn't know it anyway.

She's a NUT! But she is fun and settles nicely when it's bed time or just time to relax in the house.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Awe she is adorable! Im glad she is settling in so nicely :) I have always wanted a Dal, my uncle had one when I was growing up her name was Shanara, and always loved playing with her she had endless energy lol

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Very pretty girl...I'm partial to dalmatians, I think they are wonderful dogs. I often wonder why they don't do protection work, because I believe they can.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very pretty girl...I'm partial to dalmatians, I think they are wonderful dogs. I often wonder why they don't do protection work, because I believe they can.

They do in Europe (not England), there is a breeder in Finland who is active in protection work. They are guard dogs, so it is natural for them to be defensive. Shane is very serious about protecting family and home, I had an incident where my friend entered our home at night, without knocking first (although I was expecting him over), Shane bolted over, jumped up with his paws on my friends shoulders, in my friends face barking like a mad man, he was mere centimeters away from his face, I grabbed him quickly and yelled SIT!, he sat, I turned the lights on and he looked at my friend like "Oh, it's Peter!!!" and wiggled his but and gave kisses.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
They do in Europe (not England), there is a breeder in Finland who is active in protection work. They are guard dogs, so it is natural for them to be defensive. Shane is very serious about protecting family and home, I had an incident where my friend entered our home at night, without knocking first (although I was expecting him over), Shane bolted over, jumped up with his paws on my friends shoulders, in my friends face barking like a mad man, he was mere centimeters away from his face, I grabbed him quickly and yelled SIT!, he sat, I turned the lights on and he looked at my friend like "Oh, it's Peter!!!" and wiggled his but and gave kisses.
I had a very sweet dalmatian years ago, her name was Kiara..I found her in a garbage container, she was about 4 months old. She was a beautiful girl, very high energy:) Maybe they should consider them in this line of work in the USA. Anyone who has ever owned one, knows that they could be good at it.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
She's pretty and looks like she's having a blast!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a very sweet dalmatian years ago, her name was Kiara..I found her in a garbage container, she was about 4 months old. She was a beautiful girl, very high energy:) Maybe they should consider them in this line of work in the USA. Anyone who has ever owned one, knows that they could be good at it.
The problem is breeders in the US don't want the breed to have the problems it did when every neighborhood had a Dalmatian, kinda like how some Pit Bull Terrier breeders don't want their dogs seen doing protection work. Dalmatians still have a bad rap, and rescues were overflowed with Dals with temperament issues because of poor breeding. Many insurance policies will not cover Dalmatians now, and they aren't even popular now, it's all from when they were hugely over bred and owned by complete morons who think they are Golden Retrievers in a cute spotted coat.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
The problem is breeders in the US don't want the breed to have the problems it did when every neighborhood had a Dalmatian, kinda like how some Pit Bull Terrier breeders don't want their dogs seen doing protection work. Dalmatians still have a bad rap, and rescues were overflowed with Dals with temperament issues because of poor breeding. Many insurance policies will not cover Dalmatians now, and they aren't even popular now, it's all from when they were hugely over bred and owned by complete morons who think they are Golden Retrievers in a cute spotted coat.
Ya cause everyone wanted one after the movies 101 dalmations came out and then they were so inbred because the demand for them was so high, hence why they started to have major health and temperament problems. And people who wanted one because they watched the movie(s) were not expecting to get what they got when they got a cute little dal puppy, and they did not do the research as to what the breed was all about, and how much exercise they need and how stubborn they are to train and so many of them were dumped... its a shame how this breed went so far downhill in such a short amount of time :(

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I guess I can understand that...I found mine about the time that everyone was looking for dalmatians. I had no intentions of getting one, but there she was one day and I couldn't leave her. I hardly see them at all anymore. I wouldn't mind getting another one.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I always wanted to have a Dalmatian. <3
They are fun dogs! They are active, love to work and have a job (obedience, agility, tracking, etc), easy to train as they LOVE food and LOVE being with their owner, they are shadow dogs if you are home they will follow you everywhere (even the bathroom) but they are fine being left for the day for work. They are clowns and it seems they purposely try to find ways to make you laugh. They make great guard dogs but are usually very friendly when you want them to be (out on a walk or in public, friendly visitors at home), some seek out and crave attention from people (like my Shane) and some are more aloof (Sydney was like that) and will seek out some petting but once they've had enough they move on. They are usually notorious counter surfers and trash raiders and can't be trusted not to steal food! The females tend to have that "bitchy" attitude at times, especially with other female dogs, and the boys can be so needy it's pathetic LOL

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
My sister had a Dalmatian named Suzie years ago. I always loved that dog and I would play with her every time I visited.

So much energy they make some GSD's look like Bassett Hounds.

·
Premium Member
4,733 Posts
my friend had a dalmation, he was the guard dog on her farm, great dog, one day he just layed down and died, he was 7 and is really missed, when ever i would go there, he always was there to greet me, not the same anymore. anyway she is a beauty, and i remember the video that was posted of you and your dog doing obedience work (great job, by the way) im sure she will make a wonderful addition to your home. good luck with her :) lori

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
nice dogs, how is it yr polished wooden floor is not scratched to pieces?
Haha, I dremel their nails so they're short and dull

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
She's beautiful! She's lucky to have you! Congrats!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Miss having a Dalmatian. I had two gals we adopted at the shelter together when I was growing up. Aislinn and Adamina. It was when the shelters were pack with these spots. We originally just got one, but before the day was out we went back for the other one. Perfect for my lifestyle which was living in the country riding my horse through the hills and valleys. Indoors they were couch potatoes which was perfect for cuddle time.
We played with the idea of getting one, but decided a GSD would fit our current lifestyle better. Maybe we'll consider one again in a few years.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts