German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i am adopting a year and a half, Liver male GSD on friday. And he has a few issues..
His first issue is that he sumbmissively urinates.
Second, he apparently barks in the crate, i was told to get a shock collar but i dont want to go that rought.. But she says he barks through the night with out one.
Third, he is a bully with dogs and lunges on te leash because he gets frustrated that he isnt playing.
He is also not a good fetcher, but IS food motivated.
Now, i have a boxer lab that i rescued and i had to work with him A LOT, and is now fine of leash, stays out of the crate 24/7.
I want that for this dog too. But i wanted to get your imput on this dog.
On what i need to do to fix these problems.
Im just really worried about the peeing and barking.
Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Can you give more background on where this dog came from?

Is this a rescue and the information is from the foster parent along with a behavioural assesment? The original owner?

All of those issues are not uncommon with rescues, with proper training which will probably include professionals in this case, it can be managed. It's not a overnight fix and some dogs need more work then others as I'm sure you're aware of being you've already had a rescue

·
Registered
637 Posts
do at least a 2 week separation /shutdown from your dogs.. this way the new rescue can de stress and see the layout and routine of your house. when in a crate toss treats in when he is quiet.. he will learn fast that being quiet = treats..
dont intro him to your resident dogs at all for at least 2-3 weeks, first let him settle in and put him in a strict routine with food/potty/exercise/relax time.

DONT use a shock collar. most dogs who bark that much in a crate were stuck in a crate for overdue times unfairly.. by showing him the crate is a good thing he might not bark that much.
exercise the crap out of him. a tired dog = a happy owner.. the more you exercise him the more tired he is the less he will bark in the crate.

use his food motivation to your advantage. hand feed him his dinner while doing obedience training and working on his crate issues (if he even has crate issues)

sounds like he is just an oversize dog who still has puppy type behaviiors (rude ones) due to lack of training in the previous home he lived in.

treat him like a puppy and a strict schedule should reign him in in a month or two..

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do at least a 2 week separation /shutdown from your dogs.. this way the new rescue can de stress and see the layout and routine of your house. when in a crate toss treats in when he is quiet.. he will learn fast that being quiet = treats..
dont intro him to your resident dogs at all for at least 2-3 weeks, first let him settle in and put him in a strict routine with food/potty/exercise/relax time.

DONT use a shock collar. most dogs who bark that much in a crate were stuck in a crate for overdue times unfairly.. by showing him the crate is a good thing he might not bark that much.
exercise the crap out of him. a tired dog = a happy owner.. the more you exercise him the more tired he is the less he will bark in the crate.

use his food motivation to your advantage. hand feed him his dinner while doing obedience training and working on his crate issues (if he even has crate issues)

sounds like he is just an oversize dog who still has puppy type behaviiors (rude ones) due to lack of training in the previous home he lived in.

treat him like a puppy and a strict schedule should reign him in in a month or two..
some back ground, all i know is that he was originally a stray, then brought to a rescue then given to my trainer. Now my trainer and her roommate have about 7 dogs in their house, and the trainer gave the dog to the roomate. The roommate hasnt had time to let him out and exersize him so i am hoping that if i exersize him and keep him out of the kennel he will be okay.
i do not want to use a shock collar and dont even have the money to waste for one if i did. I hope love, attention, training and EXERSIZE will help this dog out.
I wll keep you al l upidated as well.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I think you need a new trainer. I have no problem with the educated use of an e-collar, but I am not sure this is a situation where it's use would be beneficial.

To use an e-collar in a crate, to curb barking? You might end up causing your dog to associate the crate itself with the correction. Or maybe you're thinking of an electronic bark collar, that activates automatically when the dog barks and not a remote electronic collar that you activate from a hand-held controller?

What other methods has the various people involved with the dog tried in an effort to curb crate barking? And why is this "trainer" passing around a dog that has issues? Wouldn't the dog be better served staying with a professional to work on issues before being rehomed? Maybe the dog should go back to the rescue that placed it with the "trainer" to begin with?
Sheilah

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I hope love, attention, training and EXERSIZE will help this dog out.
Yes, but reverse that order :D

I have three rescues, and training is still an issue with my youngest, but I am scheduled with a professional at the end of May. In the meantime, exercise works wonders.

As far as the attention, I don't give much at all to new rescues. I give them PLENTY of time to watch the routine in the household before I ask anything of them. I have found the less I pay attention to them, the quicker they seem to come around :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts