German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting a new pup soon and I know very little about GSD pedigrees. Help?

Dam: Vanja vom Kammberg

Sire: SG Gizer von der Alten Donau

Also gonna need help with a registered name, are there rules or guidelines for GSD names? The breeder wants it to start with a 'B'

The breeder says this pup is pet quality as he has a very soft bite and not much interest in work (if I remember her correctly). He is extremely laid back and mellow (SO different from my last dog at that age). Our plans are to do obedience and agility work but mostly he'll be a family dog and loved on.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
West German working lines. Some very common/popular dogs there. This dog ought to make a nice, active companion and be a very good candidate for obedience and agility. Also, what appears more mellow and laid back now may not be so in a few months to a year. There are some lines here that can be very slow maturing in their drives, particularly in males. They may not show much drive at 8 weeks, but at 8 months it's a very different story. :)

As for the registered name, the breeder will probably have a kennel name attached that will go at the beginning or (most likely with German lines) end of the name. Then if it's a "B" litter the individual name of all of the puppies will star with B. So the name will be something like B____ vom Kennel, or Kenne's B______. If the breeder lets you pick the name than anything that you like that starts with B (and hasn't already been used) is an option. Also the dog's registered name and call name (everyday use nickname) don't have to be the same.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
I know someone who has a Javir son - big black dog, good police dog prospect, very clear headed. The original owners had a baby and suddenly couldn't keep the dog, so it went to a club member for rehoming (still has him - it's been two years!).

I keep telling him that if I had been looking for another dog at the time, I would have taken this dog in a heartbeat!

·
Registered
753 Posts
My dog has a few similar names in his pedigree as your pup (on your pups dam's side) Vito and Rocky...

Odin von Janzhaus

In short Odin is the greatest dog in the world lol. If you want to more about his temperament let me know, I don't want to hijack your thread with a novel of how amazing Odin is;)

BTW he was also a total dud as a puppy, but grew into his drive and has PLENTY to do whatever I want with him.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts