German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys it's been a while a lot has happened but anyway on to topic...I picked up my new puppy today and she is amazing!
I guess it's been a long time since I had a puppy so if anyone can give me some do's and don't's advice crate training ect that would be really helpful,
My current GSD Clay seems just fine with her but we are holding off giving her free roam just yet until we are 100% sure she has been accepted
Thanks in advance:)

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Congratulations on the new puppy! Most of the do's and don'ts questions you may have can be answered by watching Stonnie Dennis YouTube videos. He's really good about explaining the why's and how's of raising a puppy. And again congratulations, puppies are so fun!

·
Registered
473 Posts
"I guess it's been a long time since I had a puppy so if anyone can give me some do's and don't's advice crate training ect that would be really helpful "

That's a pretty broad request and you can get as many opinions as there are dogs out there.

I'm in favor of the crate in the bedroom where they can see or sense you in the room. Crate covered to create a more den like feeling. If they fuss in the crate or wake up lonely in the night, I have never had to do more than talk quietly to them or stick my fingers through the cage for them to feel secure and settle down. No pups relegated to the kitchen or basement....

As they're totally house trained (no longer than a few days/weeks), I have left the crate opened and given them most o the bedroom to sleep in for awhile. Later, full house.

Long leash training is excellent at all times until knowing their name and "Come!" are 110% reliable. Doesn't take long.

Biting and jumping are never acceptable and met with both swift correction and distraction methods.

Quality puppy food, feeding for the dog in front of you and kept lean.

No dogs on the bed or couch ever. But that's just me and any other same people ;)

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is an 8 month old post..things did not work out with the puppy I was referring to in this post and had to return her to the breeder, we did eventually get another puppy in may this year (She is 4 and a half months old now) and everything is going great! Health, training and everything in between thanks for your reply though 😊

·
Registered
10,179 Posts
What I have learned from Deja is to have the pup within sight but no physical contact for at least three weeks. She had not asked for this intruder so it took time with her. Others maybe easier.

·
Registered
29 Posts
WNGD thanks for quick tips regarding the upbringing. I got a new puppy too, so I am browsing for the advice! I hope all is well with your new pup happyblond!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts