German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on this forum since we started looking for a rescue GSD about 6 weeks ago, and we finally got one! We have 4 kids, including 5 yr old active twins, and a cat, so we were having trouble finding a GSD that got along with both, and each time I saw one on one of the rescue websites, I would email and find someone else just adopted it. But, I happened to see a puppy young enough to be conditioned to get along with kids and cats on the local SPCA website the day he came in, so I got there when they opened, met him, put him on hold until I could bring my husband and kids, and we got him this morning! We don’t know his history since he was picked up as a stray and don’t know if he’s full-blood Shepherd, but he’s cute as can be and friendly with our kids and cat (though the cat is not friendly with him yet) and, typical of a shepherd, full of energy and chewing everything, especially hands and ankles. He does have a habit of chasing my kids and playfully nipping at their heels when they run past him, so I’m trying to train the kids not to run past him. He is full of puppy breath and licks when I pick him up, and he will let us pet him when he is too exhausted to play anymore. He already follows me everywhere and he eats like there’s no tomorrow! This may be a result of being hungry when he was on the streets of Oakland, or related to being weaned too soon. He is approx. 9 weeks old now, and was picked up on the 15th of August, so he was only 6 or 7 weeks old when someone presumably dumped him. I can’t understand why anyone would do that to an innocent, sweet puppy. If the owner didn’t care about him, why not at least sell him, and make some money? Anyway, he has his forever home and family now. I did a lot of research on GSDs before we decided to adopt one, but I’m learning more from this forum! We had a lovely, sweet English Mastiff who died about 2 years ago, so we like big dogs! Here he is, Siegfried aka Siggy:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
He's adorable! Congratulations! And Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
How lucky for Siggy and your family. Have fun and enjoy him.

·
Super Moderator
9,109 Posts
Congratulations neighbor!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts