German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's so awesome! How old is your pup? How did you get him barking? I can't get mine to bark at anything.
Thanks! he just turned 10 weeks. i just did lots of engagement training for the first couple days. then when he was very pushing about constantly being near me i tied him back on a harness and taught him to pull in more to be around me. then after a day of that i would just step out of his area of reach with his food. initially when he would bark i came right in and rewarded. eventually i would move back when he was quiet and take a step in for every bark. once he was good at that it transferred pretty well off the harness eventually just shaped him not jumping. and looking at my face. Fun stuff!

·
Registered
267 Posts
That's so awesome! How old is your pup? How did you get him barking? I can't get mine to bark at anything.
Thanks! he just turned 10 weeks. i just did lots of engagement training for the first couple days. then when he was very pushing about constantly being near me i tied him back on a harness and taught him to pull in more to be around me. then after a day of that i would just step out of his area of reach with his food. initially when he would bark i came right in and rewarded. eventually i would move back when he was quiet and take a step in for every bark. once he was good at that it transferred pretty well off the harness eventually just shaped him not jumping. and looking at my face. Fun stuff!
Thanks for sharing. That's one cute and fun looking pup.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Such a great example of shaping behavior with a new puppy! Do you mind if I use this, as in quote you, elsewhere - in a puppy training sticky/tutorial? I think lots of new owners don't really understand what "shaping" is, or "bonding" for that matter. They are difficult concepts to explain... Are you planning to do IPO/SCH with this puppy later on?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Such a great example of shaping behavior with a new puppy! Do you mind if I use this, as in quote you, elsewhere - in a puppy training sticky/tutorial? I think lots of new owners don't really understand what "shaping" is, or "bonding" for that matter. They are difficult concepts to explain... Are you planning to do IPO/SCH with this puppy later on?
Thanks! and no I don't mind at all. Yes the goal is to compete in IPO with this guy once hes older.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Wow what a great tid bit of early shaping in the forum of motivation. I'm raising my first dog ever who happens to be a GSD. As I learn small pieces of information like this it go into the record books because I understand at least I think what you mean. Human learning curve. Truly understanding how to get what you what as an end result and using that from early on is a beautiful thing.
Even when I learn late my 1 year old dog loves the moment I learn to communicate to him. Thank you and my future dog thanks you more!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts