German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:)I just brought our new puppy home yesterday evening. She is 8 weeks and and so cute of course I did not get any sleep last night but that's ok I realize she is going through a big change. What have you all done when you got a new puppy I mean I kept her in the crate all night but took her out 3 times but during the day since I am home so I have not been crating her. I did try this morning and she cries and cries. Am I making a mistake by not making her stay in during the day? I know everybody seems to have a different opinion. I also figured I should give her some time before I start trying to make her do certain commands am I wrong? I guess I just figure she has been going through enough stress so why not wait a little while. Thanks it has been over 10 years since I have had a puppy and have seem to forgot everything I did back then.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Yes, my Sting cried too when he was put in his crate during the day. I did make sure he had his favorite bear toy. What I did was to make sure he was tired out - I would do it after a walk- then I would put him in his crate in the bedroom and shut the door. The first day, he cried for about 10 minutes - then he took a nap. He was overtired and did need to sleep. I only left him in his crate for about 40 minutes - then took him outside to potty and walk. The next day, he didn't cry at all. I agree with you - I also waited on the command training since everything was so new. The housetraining was more than enough to work on.

·
Registered
127 Posts
On top of what Mary Beth said try putting a blanket/cover over the crate/kennel. Kratos had huge issues without it. Sadly now if he's in the kennel without a blanket he throws a fit because he likes the secludedness of it all (go figure). It helps make it feel 'denlike' and cozy. I juse use a sheet I dont' mine getting torn up, its light and airy, so that way its never too warm in the kennel.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Yes - tough love. If I had given in, I would have taught him that if didn't want to be in his crate, he didn't have to be. I knew he didn't have to go potty, was not thirsty or hungry, but was very tired and needed a nap.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i will just reiterate that putting them in the crate after they are exhausted worked wonders with jackson. it only took about 3 days of doing that and then he didnt cry at all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had a lot of luck with of course getting my pup tired with fetch and he loves the flirt pole with a unstuffed raccoon on the end of it! I also give him a kong with puppy kibble and some peanut butter to seal the hole with so it keeps him busy when he first goes in the crate.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts