German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we brought home a 6 week old female gsd today. we already have a 14 month old male gsd that we got as a puppy as well.

it seems to be going fairly smoothly between them so far. although he gets a little more jealous when i pet her than when my wife does by barking at her. he is a pretty laid back pooch is really good with other dogs. i think some of his frustration is that she won't play back, but he probably seems huge to her.

does anyone have any tips or pointers that could help me ease this transition more for him?

thanks.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
It's only been one day, it's probably going to take some time. Six weeks is a little young to leave the litter and mother, but what's done is done, i guess.

Make sure each dog gets their own individual time with you. Keep things simple and always supervise. Walk them together and don't feed directly next to each other, at least at first.

I think with time, they'll eventually bond, but it's going to take longer than one day.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
What SHE said

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
It took Jazmine a while to get used to Killian when we brought him home. She was 5 he was 7 weeks. She was more or less annoyed by him for quite a while. Saw him as the annoying little brother. Totally didn't pick up on the parental vibes, as we hoped. It took them a few weeks, but once he got bigger, he just runs her ragged in the yard now. So its a lot of fun having them both. Just give them time and make sure your giving them both EQUAL attention. Its gonna be hard because the puppy is so cute and so little. But make sure your older pup doesn't feel neglected. At least thats what worked with us!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i know its going to take more than one day, obviously. she is actually 7 weeks a few days ago, i was mistaken. and her vet said it was ok as long as she wasn't nursing anymore and was eating solid foods, which she is.

i was just looking for ways to make it a little easier and less stressful for our 14 month old.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
What will help, is get on the floor, and have the puppy in your lap and when he isn't barking, treat him for the good behavior. Even pull out his favorite toy and play with him while she sleeps next to you. Nothing too rough of course! But it really only takes time. Just make sure everything is equal or he could resent this puppy coming in. But your boy is still rather young so the adjustment stage should be easier for you. I say lots of treats for good behavior and just keep giving him the regular attention that he is used to getting. Give it time, they will figure it out. Good Luck!! *<]:0D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks warranty...we tried that this morning in addition to keeping his regular routine and it seemed to help a lot. and later he is going to get his walk with just us.

he seems to be adjusting pretty well.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I hate to say this, but it really does just take time .. especially with the new girl being so young and not really being an equal play mate, or pack mate. In the next few weeks, her comfort level and activity level will pick up and she'll be more willing to play with him ... you can take advantage of this time by bonding with her yourselves, spending time with each of them separately. It'll only be a few weeks ... then I'm sure she'll be wide open. :)

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
I found my adult males are more willing to accept a puppy than my adult females. Max thought Kayos (female) was his special baby when she came home. Kayos thought Havoc (male) was there to usurp her spot in my heart. On the other hand Havoc worships Kayos. After 3 plus years together now they are pretty thick and that just came about over time.

Each dog needs separate activities and attention to insure they do not get jealous. Dogs do understand fairness. Just like human kids they will become jealous if they think their place has been taken.

6 weeks is much too early to lave momma and littermates. Mom and siblings teach pups a lot about fair play, bite inhibition and other social skills. Thankfully you have another dog to help you with that but you will need to work on social skills, particularly proper use of teeth with this new pup.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the help guys, esp warrants....the two pups are sleeping nose to nose together, and have been for most of the morning. also, the bigger pup is quickly learning to play easier with his little sister.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts