German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just got my GSD yesterday:)
I was wondering if it's to early to bathe him, he smells a little and i would like him to smell better but only if it's safe.
He's 8 weeks old, and also Im still looking for a name for him.
His personality is comming out now, he seems to be fearless and couragous. I dont know if it's because he's a pup or not but thats how he acts. You guys have any sugguestions on names for my handsome boy?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Well, going from your name maybe you can name him........Semper Fi, Semper, Devil Dog or Devil, Leatherneck, Grunt, OMG I got it!!!!!! Are you ready......... GUNNY!!!!!! That's it, that's my vote, Gunny.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
congrats on your new puppy!!! where are the pics please please show us

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I think you should be able to bathe him. Check your pet store for extra-gentle puppy shampoo if you're worried. Definitely don't use dish soap or human shampoo.

·
Registered
495 Posts
We bathed our girl her second night with us. Got that extra-gentle puppy shampoo (as Emoore recommended above) and made sure she was dried as much as possible and then kept warm until her fur dried completely.

Congratulations on your new little guy!

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Gunny is a great name. Another is Sarge.... or Chesty.

Semper Fi from a former Marine Sgt.

Good luck with your new recruit.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Congrats on your new puppy! Yes, you can bathe him. Make sure to get some puppy shampoo.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Our breeder bathes the pup the day you pick it up at 8 wks, so I'd say a bath is in order. I was going to suggest Jar Head but Gunner or Gunny are probably better. How about Semper Fido?

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Welcome and congrats, I like Gunny! Yes you must post pictures, we love puppy pictures.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Thank you for your service, and welcome to you and your new puppy! :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Bath is fine, I heard St.Louis was having winter weather (family there) .. make sure pup is good and dry before letting him out afterwards.

·
Super Moderator
32,430 Posts
Little boy pups tend to pee on themselves, lol! Keefer smelled bad a LOT as a puppy, so he got several baths. At that age it's really easy to do it in the kitchen sink with warm (not hot) water and a gentle shampoo made for puppies. You might want to put a folded up towel on the bottom of the sink so he doesn't slide around.

Here's Halo getting a puppy bath in the sink:

Good advice about drying well and keeping him warm afterwards. If he'll let you wrap him a dry towel and hold him in your lap for awhile after you've toweled off most of the water, that would be great. She was too squirmy for that, but let me drape a towel over her while she took a nap on the floor:

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! Can't wait to see pics of your new puppy!! Keep us posted on what name you choose!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts