German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my new puppy. His name is Ridley and he's 9 months old. We bought him from the breeder/trainer where he was living in a kennel with other working dogs that she's raising. Until last night, he had never been inside a house. He knows basic obedience and is very well mannered and so far things are going well. He's not too thrilled with the crate but we're working on it with lots of treats and positive reinforcement. He did fine overnight - not a peep out of him until it was time for us to be up anyway. Housebreaking is also going well - he's apparently got great control! His first few trips up and down the stairs were funny - he was literally stretched out as far as he could stretch because he couldn't figure out how to move his hind feet up a stair. Anyway, my only concern is that he doesn't seem to know how to play. So far he hasn't shown any interest in toys or balls. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I picked my dog up from a similar situation but she was only 6 month old. She transitioned to the home very well and was housebroken quickly. I believe I will look for older pups in the future although you do miss the cute puppy phase. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
PICTURES! And take video if you can (I'd enjoy watching the stairs thing myself :) ).

It'll take a bit for him to settle in. Huge abrupt change in his life but a great age for you to get him.

Interesting thing is dogs do have to learn to play with humans. You may want to try a flirt pole...

Dog Training Flirt Pole Stick - Interactive fun for you and your dog!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Congrats! As for the playing, is he playing with you? Incorporate those items into play. Either way, he's still getting used to his surroundings, give him some time.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Congrats!!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Welcome to you and Ridley! :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's my puppy - he may be a bit bigger than most of the puppies on this board but he's every bit as cute and cuddly!

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Welcome and what a handsome boy!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
he is GORGEOUS, good find for you:))

1 - 10 of 10 Posts