German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so we saved a puppy, 9 mos old shepherd mix (one of the volunteers at the shelter said he looks more like a belgiun malinois) male from a local shelter here in vegas.

he is getting fixed today and will come home tomorrow.

my question to all is, has anyone had any experience with malinois? i have been reading up on them and they seem to be on an even keel with gsd other than the facts that they are smaller, have a higher drive and are faster and need a gentler hand when training. all in all, all the same loyalty and intelligence seems to be the same as a gsd.

we are just wanting some tips on training him. he was picked up as a stray so we are truly not sure if he was a stray for all of his life or if he just got lost. we are not sure if he has any training what so ever, so we are just needing some tips on training him at 9 mos. old.

thanks for your help.

also, we have an almost 2 yr. old female gsd that we have had since she was 3 mos. old and my fiance trained. she is very laid back with spurts of puppy nature.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
well some say some malinois are like gsd's on crack:))

I have quite a few friends with malinois (and would love one myself) they vary..they all tend to be quite reactive, easy trainers, zoom zoom zoom all the time, good with family, and are , not sure the right word, don't like a hard hand? Postive approach.

A former trainer of mine, told me that a german shepherd will think about jumping off a cliff, where a malinois will jump first and ask questions later:))

Congrats on your new addition, can't wait to see pics of him !

·
Registered
514 Posts
To echo the above, 10 years ago we got Bella, our Malinois.

Malinois' always need a job to do, otherwise their job will be to ruin everything you like...shoes, furniture, pens. You get the picture :)

They are truly a GSD on Crack! They need a gentle hand when training, they seem to be adversely affected by corrective training more than many dogs.

Go read about clicker training, it will work wonders for you!

Congrats on the pup and thanks for saving him!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the great responses. i'll look into the clicker training. my fiance has always trained with a "firm" hand. our gsd has done well with it, but seeing as how malinois are more sensitive, we might change our ways.

and gsd on crack, great thats all we need. our gsd acts like she is on crack when she gets all amped up, but all the time, oy vey. oh well, guess i'm going to take up running just to run him ragged so he isn't so crazy.

and our fun is, we also have a cat. our gsd chases him a bit, but has gotten tired of it for the most part. i have a feeling the puppy will be all for chasing him. great, all i need is a cat, malinois and gsd running up and down my stairs. i'm sure if the mal is chasing, the gsd will jump in on the action!!

here are some pics i took while me and my gsd visited him at the shelter when we were deciding if they would get along:

i'll post up some more pics once we get him home.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i don't really know. like i said, one of the volunteers thinks he is more malinois than gsd. if he was a sable that would be awesome. once we get him home i'll be able to take a better pic. the only thing i've been told will tell us is the shape of the back/butt. the gsd's slope down and the mal's are more flat. can anyone help me figure out the difference physically between the two?

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Gorgeous dog! I can't wait to see more photos! Reminds me of my Doerak who was part GSD, part Dutchie/Malinois.

Clicker training will be great! Think about doing agility, too. ;) I think you will enjoy it as much as your dog.

And, if you didn't notice, I have Belgians.

....Try to get a good photo of the face and eyes from the front with him looking at you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
here are a couple other pics of his color. not good for viewing his stance though.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Now he's lighter.

Try to get a good front and a good side like these of my Boaz. (I took them for the UKC.)

This is my Malinois when she was young. See how light weight she is.

·
2,967 Posts
It's hard to say without seeing a side shot and a face shot that's not so dark. But the color definitely could be Malinois, even if it's not the traditional red with the black mask. This pretty girl is ALL Mal. :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all the help. as soon as he gets home tomorrow night i'll snap some pics of him. he is quite a bit lighter weight. although he is only 9 mos. and our gsd is 21 mos. she only weighs about 70 lbs. and he is shorter and much smaller than her. so i'm guessing he is mal with maybe a little gsd. who knows. i'll let ya'll be the judge of that when i get pics up.

·
2,967 Posts
No! No Mals here...I know I look insane with 5 dogs...but I'm not THAT crazy! ;)

She belongs to a friend that we train with. She is a nice dog. She has a lot of personality.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
hard to say from the pics,,he is one gorgeous puppy tho !!!!!

Can't wait to see other pics,,

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No! No Mals here...I know I look insane with 5 dogs...but I'm not THAT crazy! ;)
now you got me concerned....ya i've heard mals are gsd's on crack but are they that crazy?

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
now you got me concerned....ya i've heard mals are gsd's on crack but are they that crazy?
Depends on the dog. At best they are happy active dogs. Since you've already met your dog, you would know best what he is like. Just make sure you get him a job. Herding dogs need something to do. That's why I suggested agility, but obedience is good also. My female only does obedience now and she loves it when she gets time with me to do just that. She also like hunting for stray baseballs at the sports fields. :)

Oh, if you don't get him a job, he will probably think his job is to destuff your sofa or decorate your house with toilet paper.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
This was a typical afternoon at my house after work. The black dog has arthritis, so he moves slower. He is GSD and Dutch Shepherd which is pretty much the same as a Malinois. Before his arthritis and cancer, I never saw him sleep and all he wanted to do was chase a kong.

My Malinois has the big fluffy yellow toy in her mouth. She can literally keep that up all day long. You can not exhaust her. She is from French (Ring) working lines and is very light-weight.

The little guy is Balto as a puppy, also a Belgian.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lovely!!

well our gsd is energetic, she likes to chase our cat every now and then. i've decided i'm going to start taking up running and taking the mal and maybe the gsd with me. the only issue is we live in vegas so it will have to be multiple short runs cause of the heat right now.

as far as redecorating our house.....we will keep them crated up during the day when we are not home and they will sleep in our room with the door closed so they have to stay. we keep the cat and dog seperated at night cause there is nothing but chasing going on while we are trying to sleep. our girl is great at going to bed and sleeping there all night. she'll even go back to bed on the weekends when i tell her to so that i can have any chance of sleeping past 6 am, which is when i get up during the week. with the mal in the house, i'm kinda scared.

i have met him and he is still a puppy only 9 mos old and when i saw him, he was at the shelter all couped up in the kennel so he was of course high strung just from that. it will be interesting to see how he is when i get him home tonight. ya thats another thing i'm stressing over. i have to go alone to get him and bring him home and do the introductions to our gsd, who he as already met at the kennel, and to our cat alone. my fiance is taking his youngest to soccer practice tonight so its up to me to do day one alone. just nervous cause he is the trainer in the family and i just learn what he does and the dog listens to me. i'm never the one that initially teaches. oh well, guess i'll get a crash course tonight.

so if you have any tips on the first night home, i'd greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Running will not likely put a dent in them anyway. These dogs could run all day and then run some more. That's why you need to incorporate "thinking" exercises like obedience, agility and games. Don't worry, you'll be fine. If not, just come here and you'll get a lot of suggestions.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts