German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys i bought a new dog last 6 months he is very good, strong big headed and healthy. i have one problem in him is that he always pull the leash and he walks infront of me.how can i make him walk beside me ? thanks all

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
hi guys i bought a new dog last 6 months he is very good, strong big headed and healthy. i have one problem in him is that he always pull the leash and he walks infront of me.how can i make him walk beside me ? thanks all
Keep a very short leash. Make sure he is always on your left side and that his nose is never out in front of your extended foot.

Start with the dog relaxed a bit. Best if he's just had some hard exercise and is a bit mellow. Maybe some ball throwing or tug of war till panting hard.

Leash him and place yourself on his right side (dog is on your left).

Start walk. When he rushes ahead, make a very short leash by wrapping it around your hand till he can't get ahead, if needed.

Any sign that he wants to bolt ahead or is distracted, you need to get his attention focused back on you. That can be done with a sharp and authoritative word "attention!!!" or a short and sharp pull on the leash, towards you (to the side), not against the walking direction (that's just tug of war redux)

The only two words you should say the entire walk are, Heal and good boy/girl!!

Be firm, but calm. If what I wrote diesn't seem to work, just stop walking altogether. Just stand there, saying nothing and no eye contact. Just look around as if nothing bothers you and you can stand there till the next blue moon. Keep repeating, He'll learn that the fun stops when he rushes ahead. Your job is to be patient and not expect an immediate or permanent change until he "gets it."

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i trained him on long platz, stay,sitz but the heel command is hard it dosent work with him. he dosent have a ball drive too

·
Registered
39 Posts
good advice relayer. Rambo has just recently started having trouble trying to rush ahead of either me or my wife. hes good about stopping on command just seems to get distracted by flying birds or some scent.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
i trained him on long platz, stay,sitz but the heel command is hard it dosent work with him. he dosent have a ball drive too
Then use the "I've got infinite patience" technique and just stop and hold. He'll probably pull a bit at first then give in and sit or lay down or roll around. Try to start him again. Short leash, but pull him back enough so that when he gets in the correct position, he can enjoy (even if for a second or two) a relaxed leash experience. The goal is a relaxed leash at heal. Most people that have trouble getting their dog to heal have not mastered getting the dog to put MOST of their attention THEM. That concept changes everything about the walk. You may have to quite frequently give your dog physical reminders (like a short firm pull sideways, towards you) or a verbal that gets him back to you (like "attention!!"). Only when he focuses back on you, do you have a chance to communicate with him. If you're pulling and he's pushing, forget it!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i just dont know how to work on that :( maybe i will sell my dog because its hard to train him and he is just annouying

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
If you don't know how to work on that, get a trainer to help you work on that. If a trainers too expensive, join obedience class. He's just a baby. When you were a baby, did you know everything you know now? You need to teach your puppy how to behave. Get your puppy in obedience class and start working with him.

Why did you get a puppy if you didn't have the time and patience to train him? I know you didn't get your puppy expecting him to be 100% trained. You have to work with your puppy to get him to not pull and behave. It takes time and patience, but it pays off in the end.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I never could figure this out... why the left? Zeva is almost always on my right... it's more comfortable for me that way. I'm guesses that most likely put Murphy on my left, cause, one in each hand, but why the left. I've tried left, but feel that I have more control w/ right.

Is it just old school thinking. Used to be married to a Marine, you walked on the left so if they ever had to draw arms, you wouldn't be in the way... something like that. Is it so your right hand is free to do more? ??

Keep a very short leash. Make sure he is always on your left side and that his nose is never out in front of your extended foot.

Start with the dog relaxed a bit. Best if he's just had some hard exercise and is a bit mellow. Maybe some ball throwing or tug of war till panting hard.

Leash him and place yourself on his right side (dog is on your left).

Start walk. When he rushes ahead, make a very short leash by wrapping it around your hand till he can't get ahead, if needed.

Any sign that he wants to bolt ahead or is distracted, you need to get his attention focused back on you. That can be done with a sharp and authoritative word "attention!!!" or a short and sharp pull on the leash, towards you (to the side), not against the walking direction (that's just tug of war redux)

The only two words you should say the entire walk are, Heal and good boy/girl!!

Be firm, but calm. If what I wrote diesn't seem to work, just stop walking altogether. Just stand there, saying nothing and no eye contact. Just look around as if nothing bothers you and you can stand there till the next blue moon. Keep repeating, He'll learn that the fun stops when he rushes ahead. Your job is to be patient and not expect an immediate or permanent change until he "gets it."

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Have you started basic obedience classes with him? That would be a great start.
IMHO this is gread advice - let a professional instructor teach you how to overcome the problem.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
IMHO this is gread advice - let a professional instructor teach you how to overcome the problem.
The reason most of us go to dog classes is it's the easiest and fastest way to properly train out dogs. Takes away the anger and frustration when WE learn what to do and then can teach our dogs to do it. :wub:

Your pup is a perfect age too.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I never could figure this out... why the left? Zeva is almost always on my right... it's more comfortable for me that way.
Doerak used to walk on my right because he didn't like all the fast vehicles, like bicycles, wizzing past him. But in obedience class and Rally trials, he was just fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts