German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just adopted a puppy from a friend who had found him in her grandmothers yard. Beautiful puppy but he has a few health issues. When they found him he had ticks. They got them off and I got the puppy today. I took him to the vet for a checkup and the vet and I found a few more ticks. He treated my puppy, Xander, with Frontline and said that everything was ok. He said Xander looked healthy and to take a fecal sample for worms and bring it back to his next appointment in 2 weeks.

When I finally got home I was able to spend more time with Xander and while he is a bit reserved, he is also lethargic in my opinion. His ate once when he got here but did not eat again afterward. He did drink water and peed, but no poop.

I took a look at him and his stomach is large and while he gives no reaction to gentle pressure, if you try to pick him up, he whimpers. His nose is a bit dry, but he does not appear to have a fever. He finds a comfy spot in the house and lays there, usually sleeping and relaxed, but has not run at all.

I'm not suspecting Parvo because he is not vomiting, but I am wondering if he has worms. Because he has not pooped, I can't tell but I don't think that I am comfortable with waiting much longer. Is there any way that I can take him to the vet without a fecal sample and a diagnosis can be made right then?

Something is obviously wrong, while I have only had him for 8 hours, I can easily tell that. If one of my patients had a distended stomach and showed pain to touch, it would be obvious. I don't think that I should just buy a dewormer and give it, but at the same time, I'm wondering if I should even go back to the same vet. How can you miss something like this?

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Keep in mind he's a brand new puppy, and has had a lot of traumatic changes recently. Berlin slept for his first 3 days without hardly moving. Here I was just wishing I had a cuddly puppy. Now I know how naive I was :rolleyes: Appetite was also decreased the first 3-4 days. He's probably scared.

That being said, if you ARE concerned, just call your vet. Even if he's not defecating, usually the vet can perform a rectal exam and pull enough stool out to test. Many puppies just have chubby little bellies. He may be whimpering out of pain, or it may just be how he is. Don't automatically assume your vet missed something major, but on the other hand understand it's a pup and when they are sick it can go bad fast so listening to your instinct isn't wrong no matter what. Good luck with everything :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. This morning he was much more energetic. This morning he was wagging his tail and ran around, literally, a bit. Ate some food, drank, and seemed much better. He left a large present in the backyard and I inspected it. Normal odor, normal color, and unremarkable. So maybe I'm just overly concerned. He seemes to like playing more with our other dog more than us, but I'll have to give him a few days to adjust. Everything is new for him right now.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
He said Xander looked healthy and to take a fecal sample for worms and bring it back to his next appointment in 2 weeks.
Did the vet not check a fecal sample yet? If not, I would probably take a sample in today/tomorrow. You should not have to take the puppy back as they have just examined him.

·
Registered
32,417 Posts
Covered in ticks? What part of the country are you in? Is he going to test for tick diseases in 30 days?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Our puppy had upset tummy for 1 week after we brought him home.
It was scary because we were used to his round belly and than came home after work and it looked like a different puppy and all skinny............ i guess the stress was gone and so was the belly =)
also worms can make the belly round and other parasites and that will clear up. it's a puppy thing =)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
When I took my puppy for his first vet visit they de-wormed him. He was still having pretty bad diarrhea so we did another fecal test and he had parasites. Pills for those and he's all better now.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
When I took my puppy for his first vet visit they de-wormed him. He was still having pretty bad diarrhea so we did another fecal test and he had parasites. Pills for those and he's all better now.
took a few rounds for us to clean him up. not all parasites go away on first round of treatment.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Did the put the pup on antibiotics? After removing a tic my vet always puts the dog on anti onions to prevent Lyme disease. I think it is better to be safe than sorry and follow that protocol!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts