German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I brought our puppy finally home yesterday (5 months). He is pretty calm, and well behaved! It is his first time in the city, and everything is so new for him!Inside the house he is so scared. I'm trying to make everything as a positive experience. He will not eat anything. I would like putting him on a raw diet, but he would not even eat any piece of meat I tried giving him (Liver, tripe, and ect). He is really scared of the bowl, so I’m trying to get him use to seeing it. What should I do to get him to eat? He only ate a few pieces of kibble out of my hand (and a tablet that supposed to help his growth). I decided to give him kibble (Royal Canin) for now intel he starts eating from the bowl. He is not even attracted to treats (I bought these really healthy 100% natural only meat duck treats).

I was wondering what should I do to get him to “like” or “get use to” my place?

I have been constantly taking him out for example really early this morning we went on 40 mins walk to the park. He tugged at first, and I would turn around imediatly when he tried to, then after a while he started to relax and walked pretty well intel a dog, or bird would pass by. Then he starts pulling, jumping, because he wants to get close and play . Then I would try to distract him by getting infront of him so he does not look at what is attracting him, and wait til he relaxes. I do not want to pull him away from other dogs because I want him to socialize. Only when I see a dog that does not seem calm I try to go to the other way. Do I do well?

Also he seems pretty calm with the cats intel at one point he started to bark at my cat(this is while we where in the back yard), with his fur straight up! He would bark, and then turn around. Imediatly I made a noise to destract him, and move his attention to something else intel he relax. I did not pet him afterwards, or give him any praise. I took him imediatly back inside. Should I worry?

Well I’m going to take him out 4 times a day. Once really early in the morning, the second after noon. Another early evening like 6. Then the last 2 hours before bed. He does not play (I hope it is just because he is not use to us yet), so I need away that he does not get borred.

What else should I do everyone? Any tips? Thanks for all the help!!​

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I know it's hard, but just give him time. If you'd just been taken from the place you'd always known since you were born, to a new place with new people and new rules, new sights and smells, you might not have much of an appitite or know how to act either.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
It's common for a dog to go off it's feed when in a new environment. As Emoore says, give him time. You have to wait until his nerves have calmed down enough for him to relax and accept his new home. Right now he doesn't know it is permanent and has yet to trust you or bond with you.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for your reply! Today he seem terrified of the house. I took him out on 3 walks today the 1st for 20 mins , 2nd 1 hour to the park, and the 3rd 13 mins. I also let him in the back yard to play around 15-20 mins each without leash (with me allways watching). When he is out he is sooo happy, but sience he pulls alot I find myself holding my leash and slightly pulling back. I live in the city so you know what I mean. I was reading that pulling him back might stress him out. I do not want to stress him out right now because he just changed home. So what should I do for now? What is the best technique to train him to go on a lead? I would like to use a clicker, but I will wait til he starts eating. Do I do well take him out so constantly, if I do not take him out he whimpers. Also while we where out he started to nip my clothes, and I do not know what is the best way to react. I have read alot before I got a GSD, but there is so many techniques. Is it normal that he does not play with his toys? I need someone's experience! Thanks from the heart!:help::help::help::confused:

Sorry if I might sound "stupid", I'm trying to learn!

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
Hi Puppy OP . You have only had the pup one day. Why not close his little world into just your immediate home for a week or two. Let him get his bearings. Let him bond with you. Do little recalls in the home with maximum reward. Do focus work in the home . Have him get a reason to trust you. Then take him out for 10 minutes, focused on you . He now has a reason . At the moment he is getting his release away from the home , while the home should be safe haven . As far as food , put it down leave it , don't fuss. It becomes an issue if you make it an issue.
Carmen
Carmspack Working German Shepherd Dogs

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi Puppy OP . You have only had the pup one day. Why not close his little world into just your immediate home for a week or two. Let him get his bearings. Let him bond with you. Do little recalls in the home with maximum reward. Do focus work in the home . Have him get a reason to trust you. Then take him out for 10 minutes, focused on you . He now has a reason . At the moment he is getting his release away from the home , while the home should be safe haven . As far as food , put it down leave it , don't fuss. It becomes an issue if you make it an issue.
Carmen
Carmspack Working German Shepherd Dogs
Exactly :)

What we also do is a sort of progression with food.....

After a full day or even 1.5 days with refusing food we begin by wetting the food with warm water.
Still not eating we move on to wetting the food and microwaving for 20 seconds to bring a little aroma out. In both instances some people use chicken broth instead of water for added flavor.
Next step if not eating it to add a little wet food in with kibble. Try a small amount then move up the amount by a little.
Still not eating we move on to wet food completely, then start to slowly add back in kibble.

In all instances we wean the dogs back onto kibble slowly.

(Picked up by a very good commercial kennel we work closely with. Since kennels can be a high stress environment many many dogs refuse food. They have been utilizing the above method without issue for over 35 years.)

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Does he have a crate? If not, I would recommend it. Put a blanket in there, some of his toys and leave it open so he can explore and know it is his safe place. Also a little dry kibble as well. Might help. With Chance and Shane when they were puppies, I also put a clock that ticked near the crate.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Looks like the time has come to give your puppy lots of love and cuddle for this hard adaptation phase. And believe me, cutting up sausages into tiny pieces is a treat no GSD can withstand ! Good luck, you ll be ok and so will your puppy, it will not starve to death ! :p

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would recommend it. Put a blanket in there QUOTE]

My dog tore the four blankets I put in there into shreds :( the toddler prefers so slip around in there instead of having a blanket. When I put I bed in there he was non-stop digging, again, took it out and then he loves it, sleeps like a baby.

Funny, he turned six months and when in the garden in the evening, when it is bed time, my wife speaks to Odin "So, who will go in his cage to go to sleep, who will go in his cage to go to sleep?" he looks at her and then walks into his crate, lays down and sleeps.

Thanks God this crate training had such great effect, I feel almost sorry that I fooled him into that hole of a crate while I sleep in my nice King size bed :D . My wive keeps asking every now and then "come on, let's leave him sleep one time only in our bed" and my answer is "how about I buy a bigger crate so the two of you fit in there"

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
That make sience, it feels like everytime I take him out he is desprate to escape. I know that the breed is high energy. I thought taking him out would be a way he could calm down when he gets back. I wanted him to socialize because he is 5 months, and because he was not socialized before. I was told to bring him back to where I got him from after a week for a check up. I'm afraid that when he will go back we will have to start over again. I really want to teach him how to focus, but he has no food, or toy drive for now (does not even want a bone). I feel like he is depressed. He does not seem to concentrate. We did "changed" his name. On his pedigree he has one name, but sience my husband wanted to call him something else now we are trying to get him use to his new name. I don't know....... I "ignore" him while he is anxious so I try not to nurture this fear he has.

valreegrl

What we also do is a sort of progression with food.....

After a full day or even 1.5 days with refusing food we begin by wetting the food with warm water.
Still not eating we move on to wetting the food and microwaving for 20 seconds to bring a little aroma out. In both instances some people use chicken broth instead of water for added flavor.
Next step if not eating it to add a little wet food in with kibble. Try a small amount then move up the amount by a little.
Still not eating we move on to wet food completely, then start to slowly add back in kibble.

In all instances we wean the dogs back onto kibble slowly.
I have tried wetting the food at first, but he left it for so long that we had to dump it. I do not have a microwave, what about adding it on top of warm oven? I tried to give him cheese (I'm not talking about any cheese. I mean really expensive good quality cheese.) He ate two small pieces. My cats are going crazy for the dog kibble. I have to keep it away from them, or they will eat it!!

lisgje

Does he have a crate? If not, I would recommend it.
I do not have a crate, I have bought a baby fence where I put him in the kitchen. I have small kitchen, and I leave him there at night when I go to sleep, clean, or when I have to go to the store. I'm at home most of my day so when I'm here I let him out, and he sits near the couch. I also left him a blanket too.

Sirscarecrow

My dog tore the four blankets I put in there into shreds :( the toddler prefers so slip around in there instead of having a blanket.
My pup does not tear a thing! I have to admit that I kinda hoped that he did! I'm so use to hearing puppies tearing up things to teeth. I tried leaving him a bone, and does not even care about it! :eek:

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
I made up a game that is good for both finicky eaters and dogs that eat too fast. I put kibble in a wiffle ball. It's a bit of a chore ..... but when the dog rolls the ball around the kibble falls out a few at a time and the dog picks it up and eats it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts