German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just brought our new puppy home. Since the breeders had her outside, I thought it was best to crate her and keep taking her outside periodically until she potties, then let her explore the house. Unfortunately, she hasn't pottied yet so when we go inside, I have to keep putting her back in the crate. The way she keeps whining and mournfully howling, I can tell she really hates the crate. Plus this is her first day away from her mother and siblings so she probably feels lonely and afraid. Knowing this makes me want to take her out of the crate and hold her, but I've heard taking puppies out when they're whining is a bad idea and encourages hours of whining at night? I thought maybe putting food and water in with her would help calm her, but I ended up with a wet crate full of soggy food lol. Guess I'll have to feed and water her outside or get some dishes that won't tip over. Am I doing the right thing or is there a better way?

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
You want the crate to be a safe, secure place and not a warehouse. I would feed her in the crate (during set feeding times) and carefully crate train her.

Most of us leash our pups to us before they are housebroken.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Take her outside into a small confined area for as long as it takes her to potty. You don't want to give her the whole yard because there are WAY too many interesting smells and it's WAY too overwhelming for such a little girl with so many new things going on. So take her to a small area, maybe a side yard. Then stay out there with her until she goes potty. Then bring her back in and again, keep her confined to a small area of the house or tether her to you with a lead.

I don't know any easy way to say this: she's going to cry. She's going to scream. If you live in a shared-wall building like a condo or duplex, the neighbors will call the police because it will sound like you're putting a baby in a blender. That's what baby puppies do their first few days home. I'm sorry. You're not getting much sleep. But if it makes you feel better, we've all been there. :)

I put my puppy in an exercise pen with his kibble and water outside his crate, so he could be in the crate without knocking over the food and water.

Feeding needs to be on a schedule: measure out her food, put it down for 15 or 20 minutes, and then pick it back up again. She doesn't need food available 24/7 because it will make house breaking much harder.

As far as taking her out of the crate, I waited until he was quiet for a nanosecond and *then* took him out, so I was rewarding silence and not screaming. Definitely hold her, though. And play with her and take her out every 10 minutes. Tether her to you with a leash! Don't let her explore on her own.

Hope that helps, good luck.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have read that...it's a good idea to let the crate door open and let them get used to it and keep treats in there so that she willfully walks in and sees its not so bad and she will know soon thats her place to relax.

My breeders sent home a blanky with the moms scent. If u have something like that or her old collar id keep that nearby not so much with her as she may eat it.

Mine never cried when he came home and went into his crate so i am not sure if it really works but worth a try

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
something to add, since she has been separated from her mom/siblings, she doesn't want to be alone.

While you may not want a potty accident IN the house, your most likely going to have some , so for me, I would not keep isolating her in the crate right now, but would keep her out with me, let her explore the house, spend her time with you.

If you think she's ready to potty in the house, just scoop her up and take her outside.

·
Registered
181 Posts
As someone already stated...the first night I had bear home and in his crate at night, the police showed up at our door. BUT it got exponentially better the next coupe nights and by night 4 he didn't make a peep when we put him in there. Just make sure you have the crate by your bed and if she fusses stick your fingers in there so she knows your close but don't let her out! GSDs are smart, she'll learn very quickly that calming down and sleeping is the best option. I got up every 1.5 hours the first couple nights...not gonna lie I couldn't stop thinking, "what the **** did I get myself into?!" but soon you'll be wondering how you lived without her!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got her to pee outside twice and praised her. She still hasn't pooped. I've had her since 11:00 AM. She has been whining alot, even when she's out of her crate. Could she be constipated?

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
no she is probably just missing her littermates/mom, sometimes puppies in a new environment will hold it as long as possible.

Another suggestion, tonite, don't plan on getting much sleep:) I would put the crate IN your bedroom, so she doesn't feel so alone , you may hear some screeching/howling, all pretty normal, but if she's closer to you it may minimize it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I slept with my pup for the first week. Then I moved her into the crate and placed the crate where I could reach my hand down into it when she whinned. She would immediatly upon feeling my fingers stop whinning and go to sleep. She has no developed habits yet, so those that say sleeping with her is a bad habit, she is young and habits can be changed quickly. Pups do what you let them do. See the problems before the behavior and adjust. There are lots of crate training ideas on you tube. Buy the book "before and after your puppy as well. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
wildrivers, I've made no bones (no pun intended) that I flunked nightime crate training 101 with most of puppies:)..Couldn't stand the screeching, so they all landed in bed with me, I got a good nights sleep and so did they:)

It didn't leave any type of negative behaviors , they all love their crates, and what can I say, still sleep in bed with me:)

·
Registered
838 Posts
I slept with or near (next to the crate) with the last two German Shepherds in my life (our current puppy and the last shepherd my parents had while i still lived with them) for the first few nights in their new home. It kept them from whining and crying all night and helped form an immediate bond with them. In both cases by the third or fourth night they no longer needed me to be so close for them to be comfortable enough to go to sleep in their crate alone. The crate was still kept in the same room I slept in, but I no longer needed to be close enough to make physical contact.

Some people would probably say that method isn't the right way to break them of the anxiety, but it worked for me and the dogs were no worse for it in the long run.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I slept with or near (next to the crate) with the last two German Shepherds in my life (our current puppy and the last shepherd my parents had while i still lived with them) for the first few nights in their new home. It kept them from whining and crying all night and helped form an immediate bond with them. In both cases by the third or fourth night they no longer needed me to be so close for them to be comfortable enough to go to sleep in their crate alone. The crate was still kept in the same room I slept in, but I no longer needed to be close enough to make physical contact.

Some people would probably say that method isn't the right way to break them of the anxiety, but it worked for me and the dogs were no worse for it in the long run.
This seemed to work well for me and my new pup as well. We ended up bringing our new fur baby home earlier than expected and hadn't bought /ordered a crate for him yet. Found the best price for one online, so had to wait 2 nights until it was delivered. He ended up in bed with me initially, and when the crate arrived, I put him in it (in my bedroom) on the third night.

He wailed like he was dying for about 45 minutes then went to sleep. Slept for 4 hours, then started whimpering. I took him outside to potty, put him back in the crate again. He cried for 30 minutes then again fell asleep. By the 2nd night he hardly cried at all, and so on.

I was really concerned that I screwed things up by letting him sleep in my bed with me those first couple of nights, but I guess in my situation, I had nothing to worry about. :D

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Mine slept in his crate next to my bed. Some genius told me to stick my fingers in the side of the crate to comfort him and I ended up with bloody fingers. But he has slept next to my bed every night for over a year. The other one has slept next to my bed every night for nearly 10 years.

Didn't keep them from screaming the first night or two. :)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I am somebody else who puts pups in bed with us to start. I'm just now starting crate training with Koshka, and he loves the crate, probably because there is always treats or food in there.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I did what Emoore did, but no bloody fingers. Luckily Karlo's breeder put the pups in crates to eat/sleep and have some individual time before he came home, so the transition was fairly easy. I also left them a couple crate pads when I visited a couple weeks before he came home so the puppies could stink them up. I put them in the crate for about a week until Karlo transitioned, not sure if it helped, but I sure could smell his family!
Taking your pup to the same spot to go is great, but do it in a place that you want him to go always, because it will become a habit. Some people make a wood rimmed box with pea gravel or chips for an outdoor litterbox...it saves on landscaping and grass when they have a designated spot to go. I'd do it(can I have a do-over?) if I had a baby pup now.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I slept with Teddy on our sofa for the first few nights because I didn't want her to scream until Friday night when my husband wouldn't have to get up for work the next day. (I was afraid she'd fall of the bed which is quite high.) Besides, I think sleeping together is a great bonding experience.

And the transition to the crate was easy - she cried for about twenty minutes for a couple of nights and then settled down. Truth is that I've pretty much slept with all my pups over the years. It just seems to be easier on me and easier on them. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Admittedly I slept with all my puppies for the first few weeks. The good thing is when they have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, they will wake up and start packing on the bed, waking you up as well. I think it is a great bonding experience as well and never formed any bad habits. We allowed our shep's to sleep with us until 3 years old and then we trained them that they had to sleep on the floor on their own beds.

Now our new puppy we brought home last week is a different story. I decided to try the textbook way and put her in her crate the first night. Yes, she cried and whined pittfully for a little bit (5-10 min) and then settled in. After 3 nights of that she is now fine. I also gave her some baby carrots as a treat every time I put her in either of her crates. Now she will happily go in when I want as well as go in herself to take a good nap.

Your pup is young. He's going to be insecure and lonely for his littermates for a couple of days. Love on him and do everything you can to make him feel secure these crucial first days home. Give it a few days and you will start to see him blossom. But yes, that cute fuzzy face will break your heart to hear him whine and you'll probably be pretty tired come Monday. Good luck and post pictures soon!

Sir Jackson of Kittyhawk 13yo Golden Retriever
Charlie 8yo Wheaton-x rescue
Lucky 5 yo dachsund/beagle/??? rescue
Yva Luna von Orumhaus - My sweet, amazing GSD pup

Caesar Von Kittyhawk 1999-2004 :halogsd:
Hano Vom Lundborg-Land 2001-2005 :halogsd:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts