German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day, my name is Johan and my GS's name is Welwitchia. I got her at age 11 weeks. She is shy and her ears are not yet standing up, because she is shy/scared. She's never been hit before and I only give her love. I only have her a week now. I have the following questions
1. How long does it usually take before she is no longer shy or scared?
2. Will she still be able to learn new tricks like sit on command?
3. Do I want to train her to be over protective or love-able to people?
4. How do I train her to be over protective or love-able to people?

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
Hi Johan, and welcome to the forum. I moved your thread to the puppy section - the previous vendor thread where you posted is not active on the forum anymore.

Congrats on your new pup! Quick answers to your questions:

1. You only had her a week, be patient, she will come around. Some pups are more timid by nature and may always be a little fearful of new places and new people, some grow out of it. You are doing the right things by staying positive and not making a big deal of her fearful reactions. Work at building her confidence by setting her up to have positive experiences.

2. I'm sure she will! GSDs are smart!

3. Protectiveness comes from a place of inner confidence. It is a genetic trait, and some dogs are naturally protective, others not so much. To gain that inner confidence, raise her to know that the world is a safe place, so help her be comfortable around people. The more normal people she meets, the more normal exposure she has to the world, the more she will be able to distinguish harmless situations from those that present a threat. People often think that their dog will not protect them because they are too friendly (no such thing in my book), but when faced with a real threat, their dog did react appropriately.

4. You don't want an over-protective dog - over-protective dogs are really insecure dogs. Insecure dogs may actually not protect when the danger is real and imminent, but run away. You want a confident, friendly dog. Raise her so she believes that she is the best dog in the whole-wide world, who can do no wrong! Be confident, she will pick up on that. Expose her to a lot of new situations, get her into different classes and activities like agility, tracking, etc.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts