German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The breeder that we got Helo from feeds them a raw diet. I figured i would give it a go, and see how it works for us. I made the first half batch yesterday that consists of:
7.5 lbs raw beef (15% fat)
0.24 lbs organ meet
1.5 lbs mixed veggies (blended)
8 cups rice (could also be barley)
0.5 can pumpkin (could also be sweet potatoes)
4 tbls salmon oil (could also be flax, olive,borage, sunflower)
supplement with oscal-d and a canine multivitamin

she suggests feeding helo (9.5 weeks) 1.5 cups 3X a day; we are really getting him to eat 1 cup 3X a day right now.

I would like to be able to feed this to both kali and helo for a variety of reasons (the breeders recommendation, and kali has a few small but irritating health issues (spay incontinence; some itchy skin problems)
I have two questions:

1. any suggestions on where to find the beef cheaper, as i can see that is what is going to kill me! I guess i can wait for the store to have a sale and then stock up!
2. if I wanted to switch Kali over onto it (~75 lbs), how much (approximately) would she get?

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Well, first I would ask why the rice? Dogs don't process grains very well - they are carnivores.

Personally, I'd skip the rice and the veggies and the pumpkin and go with a completely grain-free raw diet.

Do you have a chest freezer? If not, you'll want to get one! That way you can buy inbulk and save money!

Here's what my gang is currently getting:

Breakfast is one of the following:

Chicken necks ($.39/lb) or leg quarters ($.49/lb)
Bravo premade Chicken, Turkey or Rabbit mix (between $1-3/lb)
Talapia ($.99/lb)
Eggs

Dinner:

Pork hearts ($.69/lb)
Ground beef (got it for $1.35/lb)

Organ Meat - beef liver

That's it. The only thing they get extra is Salmon Oil.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I also feed a grain-free raw diet, similar to the one Lauri describes.

As for finding cheap beef...good luck. I have a devil of a time getting beef into my dog's diets because I'm too cheap to pay $2 a pound (and up) for it. Beef heart is the cheapest cut I can find, and I have a hard time finding that. I do feed beef tripe.

My dogs get far more pork than beef--and about half their diet is either chicken, turkey, duck or fish. I add additional variety with venison, rabbit, goat, and lamb--all occasionally.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was wondering about the amount of rice as well,as when i made the recipe, the result looks very different from what Helo came home with. I am wondering if there is a typo. i have sent an email to the breeder.
also, where do people find bulk meat and chick necks etc? I get them from an amish market, but they are 0.99 a lb!

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Where are the bones in this diet, or did I miss something? Even a puppy needs some bone-in meat, and chicken wings can even be eaten by the tiniest. Did I miss that in your post?

Here's how to feed cheaper-- switch the ground beef for ground turkey, if the puppy has no problems with it. Helo may get the runs (or may not!) as he adjusts to the ground turkey, but he will, and it does cost less.

Do you have a BJs, SamsClub, or CostCo? They normally have chicken drums, wings, legs, etc usually in bulk and quite cheap.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Originally Posted By: lawhitealso, where do people find bulk meat and chick necks etc? I get them from an amish market, but they are 0.99 a lb!
I did a yahoo yellow pages search for meat distributors in my area and called them all! Some didn't sell to the public - but I found one that did (and they were the closest to me!).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts