German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im getting a new puppy..turns out the litter had no females so i have to choose a male..ive had nothing but females and currently have one..at what age can i neuter my male puppy? i dont want to risk my female getting prego..are male pupps any diffrent? i heard males are less serious more playful?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have my first male dog- I also wanted a female, but got Max- lol.
The only male issues I can think of is peeing on legs- when he pees he doesn't lift his leg yet- not sure if that'll help it though and his "thingie" gets exposed sometimes. I think 6 months is earliest to neuter. Is your female fixed?

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
It's a personal opinion, some neuter at 6 months, some never neuter.

If you already have a intact female you will have to be very careful starting at 6 months to avoid pregnancy. It might come down to a crate and rotate system while she's in heat, or pick one and fix them and the other can stay intact. If you were planning on spaying the female then I would do her first which will allow you some time to decide on when you want to neuter the male, if not then I would choose the male as it's a easier surgery for them.

Talk it over with your breeder and vet, they should be able to get you good advice.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have my first male dog- I also wanted a female, but got Max- lol.
The only male issues I can think of is peeing on legs- when he pees he doesn't lift his leg yet- not sure if that'll help it though and his "thingie" gets exposed sometimes. I think 6 months is earliest to neuter. Is your female fixed?

nope she isnt fixed yet! i do plan to fix her though with out a doubt..how is your male? is he protective? i heard males are goofy an less serious..i dont
think sex matters but ive been hearing that alot...thanks for your response!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a personal opinion, some neuter at 6 months, some never neuter.

If you already have a intact female you will have to be very careful starting at 6 months to avoid pregnancy. It might come down to a crate and rotate system while she's in heat, or pick one and fix them and the other can stay intact. If you were planning on spaying the female then I would do her first which will allow you some time to decide on when you want to neuter the male, if not then I would choose the male as it's a easier surgery for them.

Talk it over with your breeder and vet, they should be able to get you good advice.

Yes im going to have to spay my female first! she just had her first heat of this year last month..thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts