German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I am going to be a new puppy mom to two beautiful sable German Shepard’s in a little under 3 weeks! They’re littermates, a boy and a girl. We haven’t decided on names yet.

I read this forum all the time and decided to finally join. My first German Shepard boy Barack (he was an adult when he came to live me me), passed away a little over a month ago. He was such an amazing dog despite his less than ideal upbringing and I’m sad he isn’t going to meet his brother and sister.

This is my first time raising my own puppies and any training and general tips are welcomed.

Happy to be apart of this site!

Attached are pics of our babies at 4 weeks old. They’re almost 5 weeks as of today.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Hi and welcome! Glad you are enjoying the forum and learning from it. We all need to start somewhere when we start this big journey of raising a puppy.

A bit more reading here to help you start out on the right foot:

http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...67994-should-i-get-two-puppies-dogs-once.html (please read ALL the linked articles).

Also please pay attention to how the breed name is spelled. Goes a long way towards being an educated GSD owner.

After reading the above, you'll have to make a hard decision, but think of doing the right thing.

·
Super Moderator
7,925 Posts
I too echo what’s been stated above. Especially being new to puppy raising (not to mention, gsd puppies are hard), it will not only make things easier for you, but it benefits the pups in the long run too. Allow them to reach their full potential and be as awesome as Barack ;)

Reactions: tc68

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand your concerns, but I have also been in contact with many people who have successfully raised littermates on multiplie occasions. I would not have considered raising two pups without much consideration. And if my husband and I did not have the time to dedicate to two puppies and the challenges that may arise with it (both financially and training wise) we wouldn’t have gotten two. As for the misspelling of the name, it was a typo. My iPad automatically corrects shepherds to Shepard if I do not pay attention and catch it, my apologies. Our breeder has had many success stories with people they have given littermates too and we have been visiting and bonding with our puppies weekly. They do not give their puppies away to those they feel cannot meet the challenges. Again, I do understand your concerns. I will keep updated once our little ones come home and throughout their training and puppyhood stage :)

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
If you want a successful relationship with a dog, realize that: raising any pup is hard work, raising a GSD pup is harder, raising sibling GSD pups is the hardest. Everyone I assisted as a trainer regretted the decision and would not do it again.
I am surprised that the breeder will support this. To me it is a red flag. Sorry, just want to prevent you from regretting the decision and the heartbreak that comes with it. Make sure you find a good trainer ahead of time to help you prepare in case you are going through with this plan.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I don't think we will talk you out of getting two, but that's okay. You seem to have done your research. I wish you luck! I get tired enough raising one; I can't imagine two! Please keep us updated and come back with any questions you have while raising them. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
I don't think we will talk you out of getting two, but that's okay. You seem to have done your research. I wish you luck! I get tired enough raising one; I can't imagine two! Please keep us updated and come back with any questions you have while raising them. Welcome to the forum.
Anecdote to the OP: Deja is 4.5 years old and I am raising a 4 month old pup. I have to admit that it is HARD, HARD work. Deja is very obedient but needs her work, and off course so does Griff. She is a great example for Griff. I keep them separate for good chunks of time to maintain the human - dog bond. Things are going well but honestly, sometimes I miss just have her by herself when I am tired and need time off without dog stuff to do. I knew this ahead of time and I know that in a year or so I have two of these awesome beasts. Actually I can see that awesome dog shimmer in him. They are able to function well without each other and prefer my company over each other already.
OP, it depends what you want in your dogs. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have done a ton research and gotten a lot of advice from those who have successfully raised littermates. The timing in my life is perfect to raise and dedicate the time and energy to our little ones. I’m currently still lookin into trainers and facilities, but have my search narrowed to a couple. We plan on having back to back sessions if I take my dog to classes myself (the facility offers doggy daycare or the pups I’m not raining with), or each of us handling and switching off pups when me and my husband attend training together. We have also looked into a trainer who will work with each pup individually and assist us with our own obedience training. We are still deciding which route to take. Possibly a mix of both.

We have plenty of doggy friends to help socialize our little ones and we truly understand the importance of having them separate and doing things with each dog individually and only allow them to have supervised time together at set limits. And really bonding with each dog. And depending on their personalities and interesting I plan on either doing agility training or scent detection depending on where they each thrive individually.

Already at 5 and half weeks (we visit them once a week) they have such different personalities and we can kind of see what areas we will have to work more on with each when they finally do come home with us. Apart from and in continuous with what the breeder is already working on them with.

Our dogs are my main focus in life and I am dedicated to making sure they are happy individuals and great members of our little pack. I truly understand your concerns and promise to keep you updated and also ask for advice when needed. I can admit when I need help, and I know I will throughout puppyhood and even past then.

·
Registered
942 Posts
It would be interesting to know who the breeder is...:confused:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi! I am a new mom also! I have found with teething a frozen wash cloth helps. just have to watch them with it. when it starts to thaw refreeze. Two should be so much fun, they have each other to.chew on!!!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Hi! I am a new mom also! I have found with teething a frozen wash cloth helps. just have to watch them with it. when it starts to thaw refreeze. Two should be so much fun, they have each other to.chew on!!!
While it may sound fun - it is avidly NOT recommended as it is a lot of work and has the potential for big problems! You have to do twice as much training and seperate more than most people think otherwise they will just be "buds" and then don't need you anymore! Most reputable breeders will NOT allow littermates to go to the same home - hope that helps

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
I am wondering if there is anyone on this forum who has successfully raised siblings from the same litter from the very start, so no siblings from a first and then from a repeat litter. If so, please share the amount of work it takes and how the dogs have formed a bond with their owner and can be without each other without freaking out.
Nikka, stay tuned to the answers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts