German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. We just brought our new puppy home :). She is 8 weeks today and very sweet. Quick question about whining though. She is very vocal. She wasn't at all at the breeder but she started in the car and has continued throughout the evening. She seems to be a pretty confident dog, she doesn't appear afraid and has been following my husband around all evening.

I'm guessing the constant whining is just that she is in a new place, new smells, etc. I just don't want to unwittingly encourage her. Should we ignore her when she whines?

Thanks for any advice.
Louise

·
Registered
109 Posts
If she is whineing she wants something. Figure out what it is and then dont grant her it until the moment she is not whineing for 20-30 seconds. Ignore whines if in the crate and if she is just plain whining. She needs comfort. Even if she is in the crate for the night having your fingers in the crate is comfort to her and she will stop. Dont feed into her whining but do figure out what it is making her do it. Enjoy it and may a ton of patience find you ,smile. Puppies are a handful. Everything is so new to them, things we humans forget. I am making my way through it, started at 8weeks now she is 8 months and I still struggle. As in rearing kids just love them first and blunder through the rest.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I'm guessing the constant whining is just that she is in a new place, new smells, etc. I just don't want to unwittingly encourage her. Should we ignore her when she whines?
At 8 weeks old that poor baby has spent 100% of it's time surrounded by littermates and mom dog and never been alone EVER. Let alone in a completely new place with new sights, smells, and nothing familiar.

Much of the whining is from normal confusion and trying to call it's littermates/mom back cause they are 'lost'.

What I would do if I were you is take it VERY seriously that YOU have to now replace the littermates/mom with the time and attention now that you've cruelly yanked that poor baby from all it's ever known ( :eek: it's what we all do :wub: )

I'd look at your role as being PRO-active to replace everything the puppy has lost. So spending tons of time with the puppy, holding, hugging, playing playing playing playing, giving treats, talking, playing playing playing playing, hugging holding loving with with with with with.

If you do all that, the whining will slow because you are ENRICHING and involving the puppy to keep it too busy to remember to miss it's old family.

The only time my puppies will whine is when I have to crate them. And even that is minimal because I tire them out all day :) and they are only crated at night BESIDE MY BED so they know I'm still right there (not abandoned). Or if I have to leave the house (well, they are kind of 'abandoned' there but they should be exhausted from daily play and realizing I'm gone they don't whine much to call me cause I am really gone).

So realize you are replacing a mom dog and all the littermates so need to take over that role as your pups new 'pack'!

Great info on these sites:

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/welcome-gsd-faqs-first-time-owner/162230-engagement-key-training.html

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/welcome-gsd-faqs-first-time-owner/165774-gsd-puppy-primer-tips.html

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Let the puppy become part of your everyday routine and soon she will know what her new life is all about and will settle in:) MaggieRoseLee had excellent suggestions...you literally have a baby right now!

I will say in all the group training classes I have taken that had GSD of all ages, they are by far the most vocal of the other dogs...including my own boys big mouth at times:rolleyes: LOL

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the advice. I just don't want to feed into her whining. She did great today in her crate for an hour...a little whining at first but she ended up falling asleep and was very polite and quiet when I let her out.
She definately doesn't like to be left alone, she whines at me when I walk around because she wants to stay with me. Luckily my kids have been home for spring break so I think that had helped her not feel so alone. I also have an 8 year old lab. I just don't want to make her clingy or fearful so we are crate training and she's doing well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts