German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new here and so glad I found this forum. I just got a new male puppy. I had a GS 25 years ago and raised a Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy 14 years ago, but it is AMAZING how much I seem to have forgotten. I also just raised a Jack Russell puppy but that is literally a different animal. I am still in Florida but will travel home to CO with him in two weeks.

I have a few questions ...

1) Best and most healthy puppy food as well as treats. He is currently on dry food Science Diet Large Puppy. I'd like to switch him to a better food. There is a lot of information on that topic in this forum, but a lot of it might be outdated?!
2) Best way to correct biting in the hands, feet and face. He is very mouthy and not even teething yet :(
3) His balls have not dropped yet... I always thought they should drop by the age of 8 weeks. As of today he is nine weeks old, when should I start to get concerned?
4) Socialization with other dogs. He is getting his second round of shots this week, but when is it safe to meet other dogs? I am not a friend of dog parks but I want to make sure he is well socialized. My friend has two healthy, small, adorable but older females. One likes to play, the other is a strong "defense barker". Good idea for them to meet?
5) I just got him a couple of days ago in Miami and I am flying home to Colorado in two weeks. He is already about 18 lbs, is there an airline that will allow me to take him in the cabin? Is there a safe and efficient way to lightly sedate him for the trip? If I cannot take him in the cabin with me and he has to go in 'cargo', does anyone know if there is a better airline to choose over others?
6) German commands vs. English commands? Just a question of preference or is there actually a good reason to teach the puppy German? :)
7) Last not least: Back at home I have our 18 month old female and very active Jack Russell waiting for him. She is very well socialized and will be thrilled to get a brother and playmate, but how do I introduce them properly so there are no jealousy issues and we get the best foundation for a lifelong friendship?

Lots of questions, I know. Thank you so much in advance.

·
Super Moderator
8,468 Posts
I have answers to few questions..

1) Nope, not outdated. But a lot will depend on availability and budget.
2) Lots of current biting threads...
3) Personally, i wouldn’t worry until 4 months. your vet may feel differently.
4) Rethinking popular “socialization”. For right now, your JRT should be enough.
5) I don’t know the answer to all of these questions, as you know, many of the airlines differ slightly, but you’ll want to start getting him acclimated to a carrier or crate now. I would not sedate with anything more than a benadryl. Have you considered a road trip?
6) Either, neither or both - makes no difference to the dog.
7) Would you be disappointed if they didn’t develop a lifelong friendship....instead a peaceful coexistence?

Reactions: dogma13

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
I have Ridgeback experience. You will find some similarities. Both need exercise, but RRs need more. However, when you return home, they will veg out until the next exercise. GSDs tend to have very active periods and don’t veg as well until they are older. You may find your German Shepherd puppy is much more active indoors. RRs are independent and may be a little harder to train. They have a very high prey drive and can fixate on chasing just about anything, including cars. GSDS are more tuned in to you. Both breeds can be social but tend to be more owner-oriented.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have answers to few questions..

1) Nope, not outdated. But a lot will depend on availability and budget.
7) Would you be disappointed if they didn’t develop a lifelong friendship....instead a peaceful coexistence?
Thanks for your response. I am less concerned about the budget and more concerned about the quality of the food. It's not that I would be disappointed if they didn't develop a lifelong friendship, but I am hoping and will do anything in my power to enable them to. :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Congrats on the new pup pup! I literally just brought home a pup last Friday and flew to GA from NJ to get him. He flew in the cabin with me via American Airlines, which allowed puppies younger than 16 weeks to fly. United, for example, wouldn't allow younger than 16 weeks.

They have guidelines on what they allow in terms of crate size. I bought a soft sided crate off Amazon (in large: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QHC01C2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) that he just BARELY fit in. He was about 14-15 lbs. We made it work and he was pretty quiet for the trip even though we were delayed a bit on our flight home. No sedation or anything other than a little marrow bone and an empty kong in there to chew on.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Friend has a Jack Russell that wasn't the easiest to introduce new dogs to. Or people for that matter; growled a lot but not with intent. I would introduce them very slowly in a neutral area (not in the house) and supervised for the first month. At least you already have a breed that matches the GSD need for exercise. Are JR toy dominant ie nuts when chasing a ball?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Introduce in neutral territory and take a long walk together, even better if that walk ends up at home. Supervise interactions until the pup starts to listening to the older dog saying play time is over. They have a tendency to just keep going and it’s even worse when they are over tired.
We have a 4 month old GSD, a 6 year old ACD/Beagle and a 10 year old rat terrier. The pup still bothers the ratter after he clearly says back off. So we have to step in before a problem starts.
I joke that the ratter seems like a great squeak toy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts