German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all :) iv just joined this forum looking for a bit of advice realy, iv just brought a puppy he is 3weeks old now, im just wondering if you can tell me if he is long or short haired?
and possibly if you think his fur will lighten as at the moment he is quite dark iv also got pictures of mum and dad.
image (5).jpg

image (6).jpg

image (8).jpg

photo (20).jpg

image (7).jpg

·
Registered
130 Posts
I hope he's still at the breeder....

As far as the coat. I'd say its to early.

Again, really hope he is still with mom...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh noim sorry guys yes he still with mum along with the other 7 :p they were adorable but iv picked this one and just curious sorry about the confusion mum and dad were stunning! at what age will i be able to tell if he is a long or short haired?
sorry for confusion defiantly still with mum

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sometimes you just won't know for a while. A puppy can have longish hair and then after getting the adult hair in be short... It's hard to pick out a long heard GSD sometimes!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sometimes you just won't know for a while. A puppy can have longish hair and then after getting the adult hair in be short... It's hard to pick out a long heard GSD sometimes!
yea i was told he was long haired so hopefully he is :) i live about just over an hour away from where they are so shes going to email/message me pictures of him every week so next friday he will be 4 weeks maybe ill tell more then? just really excited.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Unless you're really experienced it is really hard to tell so young, most puppies that age long and short coat are very fluffy. It will be a bit easier to tell around 8 weeks old, most coated puppies will have 'ear fluff'.

My long coat pup at 8 weeks

IMG_0371 by Carriesue82, on Flickr

around 3 months old

Untitled (2013-01-07 02:27:14) by Carriesue82, on Flickr

5 months old and 9 months old coat difference

Untitled (2013-05-21 01:55:45) by Carriesue82, on Flickr

A long coat puppies coat can be short as they're growing(it takes awhile for the adult coat to fully come in) but most long coats have the ear tufts which you won't see at 3 weeks old.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unless you're really experienced it is really hard to tell so young, most puppies that age long and short coat are very fluffy. It will be a bit easier to tell around 8 weeks old, most coated puppies will have 'ear fluff'.

My long coat pup at 8 weeks

IMG_0371 by Carriesue82, on Flickr

around 3 months old

Untitled (2013-01-07 02:27:14) by Carriesue82, on Flickr

5 months old and 9 months old coat difference

Untitled (2013-05-21 01:55:45) by Carriesue82, on Flickr

A long coat puppies coat can be short as they're growing(it takes awhile for the adult coat to fully come in) but most long coats have the ear tufts which you won't see at 3 weeks old.
Your dog is just beautiful! absolute stunner :) very cute but yea i knew it was to early was hoping maybe someone with alot of experience but yes ill just have to wait :( hate waiting i just want him home still got 6 weeks to go uh! but im struggling to find a name aswell so that will keep me busy and buying his new bits and bobs lol xx

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Oh I know how that goes! I had a deposit down on my guy a couple weeks before he was born so I had a long wait and now he's already 9 months old! It all goes by very fast so definitely enjoy it! And thank you :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts