German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
25,398 Posts
Take her back to the "breeder" and let her stay with the littermates til she is at least 7 or 8 weeks old. She doesn't have to be around the mother, but mom will teach pups.
They learn sooo much from each other and it is a better way to start learning bite inhibition and doggy manners. Please take her back and print this out for the "breeder"
Developmental Stages
and this for safe vaccination schedule:
Dr-Dodds-ChangingVaccProtocol
Taken from this great site:
HEMOPET.HTM

· Registered
25,398 Posts
The mom doesn't have to be around her pups for them to learn from each other. Not sure that is really true anyway, the "breeder" is probably sick of cleaning up after them and as long as they are eating on their own, decided to move them out.

· Registered
25,398 Posts
I agree with you Ruth, but if the breeder is a friend, I would hope Rokit will help the breeder by letting them know 5 weeks is way too young to separate from littermates.
If Rokit decides to keep the 5 week old, I hope the links I provided will be passed on to the friend. I hate to see these poor pups set up for failure before they are even given a chance.

· Registered
25,398 Posts
Yes, it would be best if the pups could interact. I would also be very careful where you bring your pup. Don't go to pet stores and when you go to the vet, carry pup, bring your own towel to set her on. Parvo is very easily transmitted and pup won't be safe til at least the 2nd round of vax are done.
Please look at the vax link....overvaccination is risky.
Get your pup wormed by the vet, bring in a fecal sample every visit to be sure all worms are cleared out. Pups normally carry roundworms, hope your friend has done at least one treatment.
Only take your pup where strange dogs don't go, friends/family with safe healthy dogs are best for socializing.
Would love to see pics of Hope!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.