German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two dogs 5yr female(kind of dominant/possessive gsd) and 3year male(aussie) both are fixed. I just got another female GSD puppy and forgot how much energy puppies have. So anyway I have two questions if anyone can help.

1. My dogs are okay with the puppy just walking around but she wants to play constantly and then they get irritated. I've been watching her and redirecting her away with a toy or crating, but I'm wondering if they will come to play with her eventually or what I can do to get them to like her better?

2. What should I do if my adult gsd growls at the puppy for taking a toy she likes? I told her no and took it for a while then made her do some tricks before giving it back(trying to communicate its mine not hers), but know sometimes corrections can make things worse so was wondering if there is a better way to handle that situation.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
I can only answer from my experience.....My elder GSD'S may get annoyed but they will put the puppy in her place. Puppies are over the top so you need to know your elder dogs disposition and if you are concerned then move the puppy. My dogs have been very well balanced so I never had a concern that my puppy was in danger.

Growling can be early warning to pup which can be what the puppy needs to learn boundaries .

I feel you need to keep a very close eye on your puppy because you may not even no of a concern until it shows itself.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I'd supervise all interactions, period. I do think they will eventually play with the puppy, it just will take time for them to warm up to the idea.

I just got a puppy this weekend - distant relative of my shepherd. Katsu, my female shepherd, started off not really giving the puppy much attention. He'd lick her face and she would just allow it before moving away. Now she play bows and jaw spars, tugs, chase/be chased with him gently. I'm happy with her interactions.

My shiba is a bit harder to read. He's 3.5 years old but acts about 10. He will go between jaw sparing/playing with the puppy one moment to being snarky the next. I do my best to limit the puppy's interactions with him just in case.

For taking things, I usually correct the puppy (nuh-uh), give the object back to the older dog and redirect the puppy to something else (yes). The only dog really possessive in my household is the shiba and he tends to be less so the longer a new dog is in the house (I've watched dogs for over a week in my home with him).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can only answer from my experience.....My elder GSD'S may get annoyed but they will put the puppy in her place. Puppies are over the top so you need to know your elder dogs disposition and if you are concerned then move the puppy. My dogs have been very well balanced so I never had a concern that my puppy was in danger.

Growling can be early warning to pup which can be what the puppy needs to learn boundaries .

I feel you need to keep a very close eye on your puppy because you may not even no of a concern until it shows itself.
I'm not concerned about my dog's hurting the puppy. They've been around other puppies before. I'm more concerned about making sure they grow up to like each other so I don't end up with fights when they are adults

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I think I worded that wrong. If puppy takes a toy from my dog I correct the puppy, but sometimes the toy's just laying near the dog and she's not actually playing with it and the puppy just comes up and picks it up

For taking things, I usually correct the puppy (nuh-uh), give the object back to the older dog and redirect the puppy to something else (yes). The only dog really possessive in my household is the shiba and he tends to be less so the longer a new dog is in the house (I've watched dogs for over a week in my home with him).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts