German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all!

I'm new here, and I hope its ok because I got a German Shep./Husky Mix about a week ago.
She is beautiful, black and tan with blue/silver eyes.
Anyway,
I noticed when I play with her, she bites my hands, finger, hair, and even sometimes my face. I don't mind the hands or fingers, because she is playing. However I don't like the fact she is doing it to our face, I was wondering any suggestions?
Also we are about to crate train her, and I have never crate trained a dog before so I'm not sure exactly how to crate train. Potty training, well, its going so-so. I dont want to be crazy harsh, but I don't want to be to easy on her either.
We are using treats right now and commands...she picked up "sit" very fast...but we are having trouble with "stay".
Next month we are taking her to training classes, but till then any advice on would be great!
Thanks to all!!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
First off, congrats on your new puppy!!! Puppies are going to nip, it's just how they play. When I've had enough I stand up and ignore my pup and she settles down. I also tell her "no" when she gets too rough (personally I don't allow her to nip/bite ME at all, it's always a "no" and a redirect. She is catching on). If you are playing on the same level she is (ie: the floor) she sees you as her litter mate and that's how they play. You just need to reinforce what is acceptable play. Redirect with a toy when she nips, it works great.
As for potty training, absolutely do not scold or be harsh UNLESS you catch her in the act! And then it should just be a "no!" and take her immediately outside so she gets the connection. You simply cannot take your new puppy outside to potty enough. We got our dog at 6 weeks and took her out every 20 minutes if we were in a play session, otherwise it was every 2 hours. Now that she's 8 weeks, she can go longer.
Crate training is one of the best things to do. You can find a lot of information on the internet or I'm sure someone on this board will give you a link to a previous post about it :)

Good luck and enjoy your new bundle of joy!!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I'm so happy somone answered. I'm new to all of this.
Kola has really become our world, she is only 8 weeks old but she has really touched our hearts.
The lady we got her from said she was paper trained.. she has gone everywhere but the paper.
At night she is wonderful! We are starting crate training tonight. However before, she would just lay down at the end of the bed and go to sleep. If she needed to go out, she would wake us up with some kisses and we would take her out.
When we take her out on her leash, to the front yard she is quick about getting done. Then when we bring her in we have taught her to sit while we take the leash off.
She is picking things up quick. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right. "New mama" lol, well my fiance is "New Daddy" too.
We even took her to the VET for everything she needs for now, and we have her on Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy Food.
Sorry, just really happy. :)
Thank you again for your reply.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I definitely know your excitement! I love my little 8 week old more than words can describe. She is SO smart too! When you get a chance, post some pics of the little girl. They change SO quickly!

I'm not new to GSD's but new to the board. There is such a wealth of information and advice on here, especially when it comes to the puppy stage. I would not have learned the "stand and ignore" trick if it wasn't for reading it here. My husband was SO impressed when it worked, he couldn't believe it. He thanked me a million times for finding that out... lol
Take as many pictures of your pup as you can... I swear my little girl has changed DAILY so I've been snapping new pictures every day!

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
You sound like you are going to be great new parents!

Love that you are using the crate. Makes things SO much easier for everyone to manage our puppies rather than punish them when they are wrong! I know I keep my crate in my bedroom at night (beside my bed) and then move it around the house if needed. Otherwise, closed doors and babygates are so important to keep the puppy in the room with us so they can't sneak away and 'do evil :eek: '.

Stop papertraining. It teaches them it's fine to go in the house. Then suddenly you do NOT want that and only want them to go outdoors. If you only ever teach them to go outdoors, you don't have to retrain the middle step with the newspaper.

Lots of love, exercise, socialization and PLAY! But I know many of our GSD's are very mouthy and painful so buying a ton of long tug toys seems to help save our skin. http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/134407-teaching-bite-inhibition.html Has a bunch of good hints and tips...

If you can find a puppy kindergarden in your area, it's a great place to meet other crazy dog people and have fun for your puppy and you with a bit of learning tossed in.

Von Stroman German Shepherd Puppy Primer, Part I

This site has great puppy tips no matter what you want to raise your pup for Schutzhund-Training.com - Puppy Tips

What a happy and engaging pup with tons of play and treat training should look like!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put up a post in the new member/welcome area.. with Kola....

I think I the thread name was "Hi Meet Kola from Florida"

couple pics in there.. more to come... :)

·
Registered
664 Posts
Congratulations! Pictures! Pictures! We demand pictures!

The easiest way to housebreak is to keep your puppy with you all the time and keep her in her crate when you can't have your eyes on her. Take her out A LOT -- Give her every opportunity to go potty outside, and then praise her like crazy. Too many people still believe that putting a puppy in a crate for hours and hours on end will magically housebreak them. That's not true, and that's not what crates are for. Puppy needs a safe place that is hers. She also needs her exercise.

I have always stopped puppies from nipping me by, "no bite!" and some screeching on my part. They usually pick up on this pretty quickly. Also, have a TOY to give your puppy to replace your finger, hand, foot, etc.

I believe in total positive reinforcement, never smacking.

Good luck with her. I can't wait to hear how things are going with her!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts