German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I am going to be a new owner of a german shepherd puppy. I'm reading up on how to raise, train a new puppy. But, from some of the books that I have read make it seem like your going to be a horrible owner right off the get go... ignorant maybe, but hopefully the trainer will learn from the dog and vis versa...
anyway, as my SN states, I am from montana and my soon to be male pup will be named scout. I came up with the name because I was a Cav Scout in the Army and I like that name in a dog.

I would like to have him become a service dog since I am disabled, but I also wanted my 2 daughters to have their first "puppy experience" so its going to be a touch and go process

Of course like all forums I expect positive/negative feedback, but I can take constructive criticism and hopefully learn from everyone. I've been scouring the internet for years now about GSD's and I love the look and demeanor of the breed along with its place in the family.

Well I believe that does it for my initial introduction :blush:

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Welcome! I love that name, it's so perfect for a male gsd. You'll learn a lot here and get encouragement, advice, helpful tips and probably somebody who will tell you you're doing it all wrong! When are you getting your pup?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
most likely on the 7th when he is 7 weeks old, unless the breeder feels that he needs to stay longer which is fine with me... as long as he's a happy pup

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
My breeder wouldn't let my pups go one day before they were 8 wks old, you might want to hold off one week. I imagine that's going to be one lucky dog! What does he look like?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
once he has the OK from the vet im going to take him the the free weekly "social events" at petco.. they make sure that all the dogs coming in have up-to-date vaccines, it will give him some interactions with other dogs, plus strangers... does anyone think this is a bad idea?

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
It's a great idea! A puppy class would definitely be a good idea too, your daughters would probably enjoy it. He's adorable

·
Registered
403 Posts
Welcome!! you live in my favorite State. Gorgeous! Scout is a doll. Cant wait to see more pics and watch him grow.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Welcome, he is very cute. You will get lots of good advice from this forum.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Oh, he's so handsome! The markings on his face are gorgeous and his ears are already up! Don't worry when they flop down when he's teething. Great timing, maybe he'll be potty trained before winter. One of the best trips of my life was to Big Sky, wish I could have stayed. Congratulations and welcome Scout!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
OMG, look at those cute wittle bat ears! ^3^

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Scout is way cute!

I have to say I'm not a big fan of the "free socialization period" at stores like PetSmart and PetCo. The ones I've witnessed have been free-for-alls with bigger dogs picking on smaller ones and nobody really supervising.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was playing around with scout today in the garage, and surprisingly he understood "come", "sit", and "lay down"... im really surprised that he actually did it!!... now if i could get him to go pee outside!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.