German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a new member, but I haven't been around awhile. Lost my last German Shepherd to leukemia a few months ago, very young (6 1/2). Have a new puppy now and though it hasn't been long, and I've been through it before, dealing with a new puppy has been a combination of surprise and shock.

Good surprise in that, though only 10 weeks when I got him, he is at 11 weeks, fully housetrained, pottywise. Had one accident in the house and after that never again. That's the good news.

The bad news is that he is the worst land shark I've ever known. I must have 30 holes in me. He can be fine for half a morning and I think he's finally getting the idea of not biting, then he'll go after my legs when I don't have a toy or a treat handy, and no squeaks or commands penetrate. I've been working on some obedience with him. He knows sit. Is being guided to a down (sometimes obedience distracts him when he's in a frenzy) and we are working on heel -he is getting the idea of an automatic sit when I stop.

Hoping to train this little guy to some semblance of co existence with humanity, but may resort to begging for help or just commiseration from the board.

i tried to get into puppy kindergarten etc., but of course the classes are full. So struggling on our own for

Yes, ears are still going up and down!

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Terrestrial animal
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Flooring
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Grass Companion dog
Cloud Sky Plant Tree Natural landscape

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Terrestrial animal Companion dog

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A solid back coatie! I think since he's too much trouble for you I'll be the hero,just send him to me 馃槀 Seriously though, I know what you mean. Some puppies want to chew up all of our possessions and some want to chew us up.My current GSD was a foot and leg attacker as a pup.I started carrying a big tug rope at all times to head him off before he sunk his needle teeth into me.That worked best for him anyway.What's the handsome little devil's name?
I'm glad to hear he's not unique . I can't remember any of my past GSDs being this toothy. He delights in grabbing a calf or a leg (as high up as he can reach) and my hands and arms are covered with bandaids. I know this too shall pass but it gets hard at times. He does respond to a sit command, but then I have to have food handy, and I don't always. I found a big rope in one of our old barns yesterday and I'm using that. It works to a point.

I've called him Bumble, for the Abominable Bumble (the abominable snowman? except he's black and not white)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very handsome.
My advice?
Lose the squeaks, that just ramps up the right dog :)
Thanks. Most of the advice on puppy biting says to yelp or squeak, to let them know you've been hurt, but honestly it does not affect him in the slightest. Nothing seems to, except to distract him with a toy - and they aren't always handy. Nor does a squirt bottle, tried that once or twice, no impression. The only thing that works is a command, like sit. And for that I have to carry food all the time and I worry he's getting too many treats. I will have to switch to kibble I guess.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Squealing didn't work for me either. Mine just bit harder 馃槄 I ended up just disengaging from her when she got super worked up and wouldn't redirect. Those puppies are certainly a process! I'm hoping on not doing another for about six years, but knowing me I'll cave eventually. A black long coat!!!! Gosh, he's gonna be a beauty!
I need to buy stock in Bandaids. The demand has gone way up.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There's a lot of good advise regarding puppy biting both on this forum and other internet sites. Non of it worked for me unfortunately. My WGWL Girl was quite a hyper little thing and chewed me to the bone on both arms. If I had pictures at the time, you would be alarmed. The worst is when she would jump up and grab my exposed forearm. I would naturally pull away as she was coming down with her teeth in me. The result would be a significant wound/tear that wouldn't stop bleeding. I would swear at times I was going out of my mind.
On the other hand, my now past Shepherd of 14 years bit as well but not like this and not as persistently. All I can promise you is it will stop. My Gracie is a couple weeks short of a year old now and hasn't engaged in such hijinks in a few months. Keep taking advise, do what you can, but in the end I think they are all unique creatures and develop at different rates. Trust me, though it seems like forever, IT DOES STOP! Just keep loving him, it all pays off. My girl and I have a real special bond after all that. I wouldn't trade that for anything.
My third GSD, a rescue longcoat that I got at 4-5 months, was like that. I had her at one point in five obedience classes a week - group lessons with different groups, clubs to burn up some energy/give her some direction. She would get to a point in class, and then out of the blue, just grab my arm and let her weight pull her down it. I walked out of so many classes bleeding. I was so embarassed at times. She was a love bug otherwise, always in my lap, always sleeping next to me. We did get to open in class, but I never put a CD on her, because she would always want to kiss an unfamiliar judge in the stand for exam. I finally gave up on the title but we did a lot in rally.

My fourth GSD once pulled the skin off my hands to the bone. He lunged at a horse running in a fenced field (we were outside the fence) but I stupidly grabbed the leash and it shredded the flesh off my fingers to the tendons. Of course we forget all these things (for hte most part) once they get past the wild puppy stage and are a pleasure to have around. But boy it gets hard, and I have forgotten a lot!

Today i went to get leather gaiters or chaps from where I had moved all my horse stuff. I couldn't find them, of course (recently moved). I know they won't stop the dog grabbing my shins, i just wanted to fend off any more puncture wounds in my legs. I must have 25. I did pick up a pair of crocs boots from the buildinng and on our second walk of the day, the puppy was wrapping his front legs (and teeth) around my legs and calves every step of the way for half the walk. Nothing would deter him. I finally resorted to holding him down (gently) a few times. I don't like to do that, but I didn't have anything to distract him. I can't say it stopped him but it did maybe deter his enthusiasm a little. or he was getting tired. Anyway when we got back to the house I got smart and sprayed my boots and the pants of my leg with chew deterrent It seemed to stop him chewing on the knobs of my cabinets. I should have thought of this before.

Anyway, any suggestions would be helpful. I don't want to be a mean monster mother. He's just a puppy that wants to play. I don't have any other puppies or dogs - and no puppy classes or daycare available right now all full. I live in a rural area. He's not fully immunized yet anyway at 13 weeks. But its hard to exercise him, when you can't walk. I have tried diversions - a long rope, toys, but they aren't really very effective either. We do take at least two long walks a day but it is a frustrating experience. I'll take suggestions for doing better. Every dog is different and what worked with my last dogs doesn't seem to work as well with this one, so far as that goes, given I've had at least one puppy "slasher" before.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts