German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Welcome Rozae's Mom.

A new German Shepherd puppy can be pretty overwhelming. Internet resources can be pretty confusing because it seems everyone has different opinions on how to get started.

Yes, five weeks is pretty young to be away from mom and the rest of the litter. Most people prefer their pups to be 8 weeks old. But, what is done is done.

I really like the video Raising Your Puppy with Michael Ellis from Micheal Ellis. It is a little pricy but was worth it to me.

Do you have specific questions?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome Rozae's Mom.

A new German Shepherd puppy can be pretty overwhelming. Internet resources can be pretty confusing because it seems everyone has different opinions on how to get started.

Yes, five weeks is pretty young to be away from mom and the rest of the litter. Most people prefer their pups to be 8 weeks old. But, what is done is done.

I really like the video Raising Your Puppy with Michael Ellis from Micheal Ellis. It is a little pricy but was worth it to me.

How would I go about training her?
And how much food am I supposed to feed her a day?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi! She is very young and should not be away from mom at this point. But what do you need help with?

Yes that what I’ve read thx for response
Just general things if I should be letting her sleep with me or cage training if she should only be eating wet dry food or mixed with puppy food she’s a biter for sure lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome Rozae's Mom.

How would I go about training her?
And how much food am I supposed to feed her a day?

Yes that what I’ve read thx for response
Just general things if I should be letting her sleep with me or cage training if she should only be eating wet dry food or mixed with puppy food she’s a biter for sure lol

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes to cage training, it is very valuable to have a cage trained dog for many reasons beyond puppy hood. Put the cage in your bedroom when you go to sleep so she is near you. You will have to ignore the whining that will tug at your heart.

I like this kindle book GSD Puppy month by month

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Ok. Five weeks old she should be eating at least every few hours, so 4-5 times a day or more.
Yes she needs crate training and house training. But seriously, can she go back with her mom for a few weeks?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes to cage training, it is very valuable to have a cage trained dog for many reasons beyond puppy hood. Put the cage in your bedroom when you go to sleep so she is near you. You will have to ignore the whining that will tug at your heart.

I like this kindle book GSD Puppy month by month
Thank you
Ok. Five weeks old she should be eating at least every few hours, so 4-5 times a day or more.
Yes she needs crate training and house training. But seriously, can she go back with her mom for a few weeks?
No I guess in Arizona it’s common 5weeks that’s when there sold I keep asking them no response

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Thank you

No I guess in Arizona it’s common 5weeks that’s when there sold I keep asking them no response
Alright, dealers are prohibited from selling under 8 weeks but I guess not private sellers in AZ.
You need to take her to a vet and make sure she is healthy and get some tips on daily care, then you need to find a decent quality food to be feeding her and you need to start with the recommended amounts and adjust as needed.
Search potty training her on the forum, tons of info on that.
The problem with very young pups is that they need mom and siblings to teach them proper communication and behavior and a lot of that happens between 4 and 10 weeks old. The other big issue is that they need adequate and appropriate food as well as access to fresh water because inappropriate or inadequate food can have a huge impact on proper growth and development.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Thank you

That is absolutely NOT the case in Arizona!! I have lived in AZ for over 40 years and have been breeding GSD's for almost 30 years. In my circle of friends and just in general here I have never heard of puppies leaving the litter that young.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
That is absolutely NOT the case in Arizona!! I have lived in AZ for over 40 years and have been breeding GSD's for almost 30 years. In my circle of friends and just in general here I have never heard of puppies leaving the litter that young.
Good to know. The OP has not returned so at this point we can just hope the pup is alright.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hard no on the pup in your bed....
How do you buy a GSD at 5 weeks and then turn to an internet forum to ask what to feed it? Pray for that pup....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts