German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've had Oscar for two weeks now (he turns 10 weeks today) and I have some general questions:

1. He was 16lb at 8.5 weeks and now 22lb at 10 weeks. Is that around normal weight or is he a little fat? I'm afraid he's been eating too much ever since I brought him home. Dad is 100+ and mom is 80+. Grandpa is 110+.

2. My vet told me not to take him outside for walks until all his shots are done at 16 weeks. I don't like to take chances with parvo but that seems like such a long time. I called another vet in the area and he said it's ok to take him out two weeks after the second set of shots. So which is it?

3. From the attached pictures, what would you say his color/pattern is going to be as an adult? The dad is a blanket back and mom is a very tan saddle back. Oscar is the darkest pup from the litter.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
1. Considering the size of his lineage it could certainly just be genetics. I fed Delgado according to his size at the moment, so if I could see his ribs clearly I upped his food a little, if he started to get pudgy I dropped it a little. I would rather a puppy be a little thin then overweight to avoid stressing their joints while growing. Delgado's parents were both within standard but I didn't worry about matching his weight with other puppies, they're just like humans, some grow like weeds right away while others are late bloomers.

2. Personally, I do take puppies out but only to safe areas like homes with vaccinated dogs, and out on walks but in my arms so they can sniff and hear everything but in a safer manner. I limit or try to avoid places like Petsmart unless it's absolutely needed and then only in a shopping cart or in my arms. I simply use common sense, if there's areas where I know it's only vaccinated dogs, like most dog obedience schools which proof of vaccinations outside of puppies, then I'm ok with letting them down and sniffing.

3. I think it's far too young to talk about pattern, it'll be several more months before you can even start guessing correctly :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
He is adorable :)
Without side/top views its hard to say if hes overweight, but from these pictures he looks okay to me.

I got my puppy at 8 weeks too (now hes about 13weeks), and I have been walking him since I brought him home. I might get a lot of negative comments on it, but it's true.
Between 7-12 weeks is a puppy's major development period, so socialization is really important.

However, I live in an apartment complex with very responsible dog owners.
So far I've have had zero issues and my puppy is very healthy. He see's a ton of people on our walks and loves playing with other dogs we see (I always ask if they're friendly & vaccinated first).

But I also received criticism from a vet tech in my complex for having him out. I don't have a yard for physical exercise & my apt is too small for exercise in doors.
While mental exercise gets him tired, he turns into a demon pup if he doesn't get his physical exercise.

Having said this, I do not recommend taking your puppy for walks before he has all his shots. If you have a backyard for exercise, I would wait.
For socialization have friends and family come over with their safe dogs.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
31 Posts
You could consider a making a miniature flirt pole to exercise him in the house. But I would advise only dragging the toy across the floor with the flirt pole then bouncing it around causing him to jump a lot.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies!

I won't be taking him to public places such as dog parks or pet stores, but I really want to be able to take him on a walk near my house or the woods. My yard isn't big enough for him to run around full speed, so all we do right now is play with toys, tug, and work on commands, but he's so bored otherwise and seems anxious to go outside all the time. I've started him in puppy class and that was a great way for him to meet other puppies and play with them, but that's only once a week.

Speaking of keeping him from jumping, he loves to do that whenever I pick up a toy and I'm afraid of him hurting his joints at such a young age. Any way to stop that?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Welcome to the forums!
Looks like Oscar is growing at a similar rate as Sunny, my WGSD :). He turned 11 weeks on friday and weighed in at 31#s and i was concerned so I made a thread with his details (don't know if I should be concerned).

Oscar doesn't look fat to me at all! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts