German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have a 9 week old GS puppy who I got a week ago, I introduced him to the three year old resident dog which is a shi tzu, first day was fine but on the second day the German Shepherd started chasing the shi tzu and got a hold of him and but him on his back, resident dog helped but no skin was punctured.

I’ve kept the dogs separated and they only meet while on leash, at times the German Shepherd won’t care for the other dog and will let him come near while at other times he will get close to the other dog and immediately lunge for his neck, mouth wide open.

This is extremely frustrating and I would be devastated if anything happens to my other dog. I trust the breeder I got the gsd from and met the parents, both of which were very calm and had good temperament.

What should I do at this point? Am I over reacting and he will grow out of this phase and learn to live with the other dog? When he’s not trying to rip my other dogs throat out he’s a very calm and sweet dog.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Sounds to me like the GSD puppy is just trying to play, he is to young to be trying anything else. GSD are very mouthy, my 2 puppies constantly chase and bite at each other, grabbing each other necks, tails ect… you would think they were in full attack mode hearing them but they are truthfully just playing which you can tell by there body language and reactions to each other.

You may have to keep them separated until you can properly train your puppy. Some GSDs never are ok with other dogs, there is no guarantee.
Focus on training right now, keep them separated until you can trust your smaller dog will be ok.

·
Super Moderator
4,743 Posts
GSDs play rough and puppies might not know their own strength. You are going to have to keep them separated and teach the pup limits. Show it what is OK to do and reward it. When things go out of bounds, some time out is called for. I wouldn't use physical punishment for over the top playing since it may confuse the pup. It might think you want to play rough, or are playing too rough yourself, or just be confused because it was trying to play and have fun.

When you watch two GSDs play they take turns mouthing each other, nipping, body slamming and taking turns winning and loosing. My big boy would loose on purpose to my gal dog when she was smaller, so that she would keep on playing. She would jump on his neck and he expected it. Then after a bit, he got up and chased her.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts