German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, this is my first post on the site.

I lost a puppy to parvo a year ago, 5 days after his first set of shots. Since then I've purchased a new home (previous owner did not own pets) and discarded everything that belonged to the puppy (toys, crate, leash, collars). Is it safe for me to bring home another puppy given that I've had contact with a dog that caught parvo? What can I do to make sure that the new puppy won't be in danger? I'm looking to bring him home in 3 weeks but starting to grow increasingly paranoid at the thought of another possible case of parvo. Please advise.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I suggest you ask your vet. Your other alternative is to ask the breeder to keep the pup until he has had all his parvo shots.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I've been a bit paranoid about parvo as well (have had my puppy a week now). I know that my dog and my sister's dog (the two dogs he has contact with) are fully vaccinated, but was concerned about feral cats tracking through and possibly bringing it into my yard. He had one set of shots before I picked him up, but I'm limiting the area outside that I take my puppy to until he has his next set of shots at least.

·
Registered
31,708 Posts
Parvo can live in the soil for a year. This is a completely different house. You are not contaminated. I see no logical reason why there should be an issue. Talk to your vet about how to properly protect your new puppy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It sounds like you'll be okay now that you're at a different house. I was not aware of the Parvo risk when I picked up my pup and allowed him to go out everywhere. Fortunately, he is 7mo now and healthy.

If I had to do it all over again, I would keep him away from areas that could be contaminated such as the poop area at the vets, pet stores, and dog parks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies! Spoke to my vet and was told that I should be OK since it's a new house built in the last 6 years with only one previous owner who did not own pets, as long as I keep him away from areas where other dogs have been (which is pretty much everywhere) and carry him outside until his shots are done. My previous puppy actually caught parvo at another vet's office...I was very inexperienced and let him lay on the ground. Never going to make that mistake again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts