German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! I鈥檓 new here... we are finally getting our new German shepherd puppy next week (I am so so so so excited and also absolutely terrified 馃槀). This is my first German shepherd. I grew up with loads of dogs, so feel confident with the training but from what I鈥檝e heard... German shepherds are pretty unforgiving if you mess up the training. So here is hoping I don鈥檛 do that (fingers crossed!!)

The breeder currently has him on Royal Canin Maxi Puppy food. I鈥檓 not planning on changing that for a while but I would eventually like to wean him off it and give a healthier food. What sort of time line should i aim for? I鈥檓 just wondering if I should be keeping him on it for a few months before I switch, or a few weeks? I obviously want his transition to our home to go as smoothly as possible.

and I was hoping to have him on a raw food diet... but if other more experienced German shepherd owners/breeders in this forum tell me that royal canin puppy food is good, then I鈥檒l just keep him on it.

Registered
German shepherds are pretty unforgiving if you mess up the training.
I won't comment on food, but who said they were unforgiving?
One of the wonderful things about the breed is that if you screw up you can just go back and fix it. They bond strongly with their people and are always willing to readjust for them.
It's a hallmark of the breed. Otherwise all the new handlers in police or military work would never get away with learning.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I won't comment on food, but who said they were unforgiving?
One of the wonderful things about the breed is that if you screw up you can just go back and fix it. They bond strongly with their people and are always willing to readjust for them.
It's a hallmark of the breed. Otherwise all the new handlers in police or military work would never get away with learning.
That鈥檚 pretty much the most wonderful thing to read haha.. I think I鈥檝e just read horror stories (I鈥檝e been reading up compulsively about German shepherds for about a year). Don鈥檛 get me wrong - all the amazinnnng things about the breed are the reasons why we鈥檝e chosen a German shepherd. I鈥檓 honestly so excited (but also nervous!) Just can鈥檛 wait to have this guy as a member of our family

Registered
In my experience with Deja, once the bond is established you can't do wrong with a GSD. If I screw up in training, I can tell her "Oops, sorry" and it seems like she acknowledges it too. Once you have a good GSD, there is no comparison anymore. I have a 6 month Eng. Shepherd pup and love him dearly but he is more of a regulr dog; the fun, sweet buddy, tagging along with Deja and me. (I am not favoring Deja over him btw)

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
In my experience with Deja, once the bond is established you can't do wrong with a GSD. If I screw up in training, I can tell her "Oops, sorry" and it seems like she acknowledges it too. Once you have a good GSD, there is no comparison anymore. I have a 6 month Eng.
this is great to hear! I also have 2 younger kids- and I just can鈥檛 wait for them to grow up with a dog(s) like I did.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts