German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hiya all im not to sure if im posting in the right place im pretty new to this site.
Iv just brought my german shepherd puppy home yesterday :D im in love he is 8 weeks old, my only concern now is as he has super sharp teeth he has been playing with my cavalier king charles spaniel and shes 1 year 6 months really well untill this evening he must have hurt her and she really went for him, i know she was only putting in him in his place but im worried she has gone off him and she hasnt bothered with him since and im worried hes going to dominate her and obviously herbeing the first dog in the house i dont want him to dominate her, he has started sleeping on her big bed and now she wont lye on it and goes out into the hallway in her other bed in there, we tried putting her on the bed so shes knows its still her bed but if he is there she growls so we have left that... she does follow him like if he goes into the garden she will get up and go out with him.
shes not a nasty dog iv never seen her act like that at all, is there anyway i can stop him from being the dominate one. or help in some way. i really dont want to make things worse with her.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
It sounds like puppy is just settling in, and your cav is as well to having another dog in the house.

I LET my older dogs correct a puppy as long as they are not going to downright kill them or draw blood(its never happened:)...

With that, make sure you pay as much attention to your cav as you do puppy..IF you think the puppy is getting to rough, being a bully and the cav doesn't correct him, I usually step in and stop the puppy from the pestering.

Normally tho, my older dogs reprimand a puppy and the puppy learns it's gone to far and usually backs off.

WIth that, just supervise and go with your gut..Have fun with your new puppy:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the advice its always nice to have some one else opinion they seem great together today yea i gave the puppy a little time out when he was getting tired in his cage in the kitchen he went straight to sleep and just had my cav on my lap till till he woke up and i keep fussing her letting them have the same amount of attention and fuss but yes early days and lack of sleep :p
few more weeks and he will be settled right in but there actually really well together today :)
most the things you have said im doing so just to keep it up :)
thank you
xx

It sounds like puppy is just settling in, and your cav is as well to having another dog in the house.

I LET my older dogs correct a puppy as long as they are not going to downright kill them or draw blood(its never happened:)...

With that, make sure you pay as much attention to your cav as you do puppy..IF you think the puppy is getting to rough, being a bully and the cav doesn't correct him, I usually step in and stop the puppy from the pestering.

Normally tho, my older dogs reprimand a puppy and the puppy learns it's gone to far and usually backs off.

WIth that, just supervise and go with your gut..Have fun with your new puppy:)

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Love that you are crate training cause it will be a game changer for you and your Cavalier!

You need to always be in the room with your puppy and in charge of all the interactions. When they play nice it greats, when it's getting to nuts (not when it's GONE too nuts :) ) then you need to step in and use the crate it the puppy is just wanting to be too rough.

REally make sure you take the time to remove the puppy from the house for the exercise it needs. You've made things harder for yourself by having 2 dogs so close in age that BOTH need alot of time/training/exercise, but just know that you have it harder allows you to plan and arrange your life around both their needs for the next few years.

Have fun!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts