German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There!

We will be bringing our new sable family member home tomorrow, and we are a little worried about how our two existing boys (2 year old kitties), are going to cope.

We will be using a crate from day 1, and we are imagining our cats might be a little hostile to our new friend.

Is there a guide I can read up on, or if any of you have any experience or insight, we would appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
on going to bring your new baby home tomorrow (one of the great things in life).

We got a new GSD puppy on January 3rd and we had/have 2 existing cats. We just let the cats do what they wanted to do with Jesse, ie hiss etc when he went to them (for the first few weeks the cats were never on the same floor as Jesse - their choice) Jesse soon learned how to approach them or ignore them, now the cats have finally learned he is no threat so they are making friends now. It is cute now Jesse in the morning greets my husband and I and the cats the same way, tail down and wagging, ears back and walking slowly to us and the cats to say "morning" and gives a kiss.

·
Banned
1,754 Posts
Just make sure that the kitties have a safe place to go. We have cats and our pups as the get bigger are socialized with these cats some are great and some chase them all over. All in all they learn to exist together and some become best of friends. It natural for the pup to chase a cat to just want to play with them, the only thing is that the said pup only know how to play with their littermates and may get a bit rough, but like I said they do learn to exist together. Good luck with your new pup.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hi and congrats on your new furbaby.

We have raised cats/kittens with puppies for years. Ask your breeder if the pup has been around cats at their place and how did the puppy react. All pups in a litter are different how they react to stimulus. Some pups we've had learn to ignore the cats quickly after they have been hissed at and swiped at a few times, learning to steer clear. Other pups have been relentless in their pursuit of them (those would be the working pup prospects!! hah LOL) Some of my cats are very curious and will lay right down with the puppy pile. Probably your cats will make themselves disappear for a while as puppies are quite rambunctious. They will become curious after a while and investigate the puppy. Do your cats have claws? Just take care puppy doesn't get scratched in the eye-it can happen quickly.
Cats and dogs can peacefully co-exist they will figure it out with your supervision. When we have a litter of pups they are socialized with the cats and even eat out of the same dish as them. One of my cats wants nothing to do with the dogs and hangs out in the barn- she has survived 7 years with this method and it works for her. Another male literally hangs out with 7 german shepherds day and night on the porch. He let them know who was boss from the gate and the only time he is in danger is when he walks across open areas and is vunerable, usually a quick "ah ah" from me or "leave it" makes the dogs stop the chase.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome advice, and seems such common sense when I thought about it. I am quite nervous on all of this, so much to teach, and learn, and do, but boy I am also really excited. Since I was 5 years old and went as part of a school trip to a police station and met the police dogs, I have wanted one.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Congrats!!!!

They may get along, they may not. We've got our cat upstairs and the dog down here. Her prey drive is just too strong to be cat-friendly.

If the pup is entirely too interested, keeping it on lead in the house and praising for ignoring the cats and correcting for trying to get at them may help.

If your cats aren't interested...they are very good at letting a puppy know to back off.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
We have two cats (one is very dominant and was adopted from a home that had a Belgium Malanois and one who is very skittish).

We put up a gate to the basement so that the cats can get down there but the dog cannot. Mandalay is still getting beat up by the larger, more dominant cat and she has been home for 8 weeks now. I am starting to think that he is playing with the dog, but I am not sure. He will walk by her and when she goves chase he jumps onto a chair, stool etc and then starts whacking her and beating her up. LoL. She keeps going back to him though so I figure eventually they will work it out.

I have caught the cats standing outside the dogs crate at night looking in at her. As if she is a zoo animal. The dog does not seem to mind, so I stay out of it for the most part.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts