German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay i got a Female GSD, she is 8 weeks. I have alot of questions.

1) should i set up a specific time to feed her? like once in the moring, midday and then night since she is a puppy?

2) Is it okay to have her bed next to mine for now, since she doesnt like being alone.

3) Whining/Crying, when will it stop and why does she do it?

Seems like she always wants to be doing something, wether shes eating, sleeping, outside going potty, playing with her toys. if she doesnt have her way she crys. Should i ignore her?

I love her alot already but this constant babying is very demanding and sometimes frustrating. I'm doing my best to be patient.

Now for the pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
sounds like our dogs are sisters :) we just got an 8 week old too I'll be checking back for responses

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
re:new puppy

1. I think it is best to feed 3 times a day for a new puppy

2. My pup is almost 5 mo and has slept beside my bed since I first got him

3. She will probably always be needy but will lesson some as she gets older

Cute puppy :) Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sounds like our dogs are sisters :) we just got an 8 week old too I'll be checking back for responses
Atleast i'm not alone :D
1. I think it is best to feed 3 times a day for a new puppy

2. My pup is almost 5 mo and has slept beside my bed since I first got him

3. She will probably always be needy but will lesson some as she gets older

Cute puppy :) Welcome to the forum.
Thank you for your response and comment! :)

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Welcome to the forum and what a beautiful girl!! What is her name??

She should be fed on a schedule. I fed Dharma twice a day when I brought her home at 10 weeks and still do today a year later.

Putting the crate in your room and letting her be near you when you sleep is fine. It is probably comforting for her. Get used to her wanting to be with you. These dogs are famous for being velcro dogs. Dharma still has to be in the same room with me and even though she isn't crated at night, she sleeps right next to my bed.

Congratulations!! The fun is just beginning!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi she's really cute. congrats

1) should i set up a specific time to feed her? like once in the moring, midday and then night since she is a puppy?

you can specific a time to feed her. it's up to you. In my case I didn't have one. dogs grow till 1 yr old so every day I put the food on their feeder and they go eat when they want. you can do this with a GS but not with a Labrador cause they eat till "death".
it worked for my dogs and they're great not fat at all.

2) Is it okay to have her bed next to mine for now, since she doesnt like being alone.

yes, this way she feels more protected and will attach to you faster.
my dog sleeps in my room since I got him. he's now 1 and still sleeps with me. again that's up to you.

soon, she's like that cause she "lost" her brothers and sisters and the space that she knew. normally after 2/3 days they stop it. just talk to her and play with her

Seems like she always wants to be doing something, wether shes eating, sleeping, outside going potty, playing with her toys. if she doesnt have her way she crys. Should i ignore her?

yes, let her cry, don't let her get her way everytime. when she's like that try to do something different with her, a new game or something. when mine was a puppy and started to cry I started to cry too and I was like lets see who stops first, lool and he stopped and looked at me with his little eyes and was like WTF. xD
so let her be she'll be fine

and good luck, enjoy the puppy time

·
Registered
1,682 Posts

you can specific a time to feed her. it's up to you. In my case I didn't have one. dogs grow till 1 yr old so every day I put the food on their feeder and they go eat when they want. you can do this with a GS but not with a Labrador cause they eat till "death".
it worked for my dogs and they're great not fat at all.
Not quite on this one we have raised quite a few labs in the past and always free fed with them (until we switched to raw). When we free fed we never had any issues our dogs stayed perfect health and weight. Our first lab we were told the same thing on the stupid lady told us to feed him 1/2 cup twice a day of purina we switched him immediately as I've always despised purina but we gave him a half cup that night and he scarfed it and whined some more afterwards so we gave him a bit more finally my husband and I decided to give him all he wanted until he stopped eating and he devoured a ton of food that night but the nest day when he woke up and saw a large bowl of food down he just took a few pieces and munched throughout the day never over ate after that.

Same thing went for all of our fosters they scarfed and hid food for like the first week then realized they would always have food and not be starved (most of them come in so underweight) then they all regulated themselves however free feeding does make it harder to potty train but if you just keep a close eye on them it's not much of an issue.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
A set feeding time is a good idea. Helps you know when she needs to poop so you can take her out before she has an accident.
I don't see why she can't have her bed next to yours, if you feel comfortable with it.
She will stop whining soon. She's lonely for her littermates.
You can let her cry, but I would make sure that you keep her entertained. A bored puppy gets into all kinds of mischief.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Very demanding & sometimes frustrating - for sure! There are times when she'll get better & times when she gets worse. Set her up for success - crate training is a good way to do this - don't leave her unsupervised.

You'll be amazed at how much she changes during the next couple of months. :)

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Welcome to the site!
I would feed a baby pup 3 meals a day til about 4 months old. Then the teething begins and the pup tends to back off food on some meals. Go by how the pup feels as far as amounts go/ not what the bag says.
This link is good for understanding what the pup should be going thru:
Developmental Stages
And vaccination schedule:
http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/DODDS-CHG-VACC-PROTOCOLS.HTM
taken from this great informative site:
http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/HEMOPET.HTM
Free feeding can cause a pup to not housebreak easily. Better to have a set schedule on meals.(though it doesn't have to be strict)
I put a crate next to the bed til the pup grew out of it, then he was ok to be free at night(about 5 mos)
Constant babying is what you are doing, because you do have a baby!

It is a good idea to get pup use to crating early, so they will be safe, and feel safe in a crate. When a pup has to be vetted overnight, better to be use to one so the stress is reduced.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Yes, set a feeding schedule for her. This will also help you so you will be able to better predict her going potty. It will make housebreaking a little easier, even though it is still a long journey anyway! 3 meals a day is good.

Having her bed next to yours is up to you. I never did it with my dogs. I always stuck it out, let them cry, and let them get used to me not being next to them 24/7. They both did not cry any more than 3 nights. But that's totally up to you and I know alot of people let their dogs sleep near them. But is it's something you don't want her to do all the time then don't start or it will become a habit.

Like I said, my dogs stopped whining all night after about three nights. Jackson really didn't whine at night, but during the day he did. HOWEVER, Jackson is almost 6 months old and is still VERY vocal. When it's time to get out of the crate and go potty, he gets so excited, he screams like he getting killed! And if he doesn't want to do something he whines about it. From my understanding GSD's are vocal breeds.

She is going to need alot to do for quite a while, or she will get into trouble. Start rewarding her for the things she does GOOD, and ignoring or substituting the things she's doing bad. I put my dogs on time out in their crates if they get too out of control. As soon as I say 'kennel' they calmly walk to their time out.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Welcome! Well I can't offer much more than what has already been said. I will just say again that crate training is a must. It will make your life easier and help her as well. The crying will stop in a few days but the attention you will need to provide will go on forever. GSD do require more work than most breeds.

Have fun and enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Use the crate, I keep it beside my bed at night to be reassuring that though her momdog and littermates are gone, they still have me!

EXERCISE and socialization will help wear them out so they are calmer and quieter in the house. If they are bouncing off the walls, they need more playtime with you in the yard.

Here's some sites with great info for a new puppy owner:

Puppy's 1st Week

Von Falconer K-9 Training - Articles / Puppiest 1st Night to 1st Year

Puppy Personality Development | Dog Star Daily

·
Registered
200 Posts
Your new puppy is so cute! I have a 9 week old puppy. He cried the entire evening the first night we got him and practically the whole next day. Then it got much better. He still whines when we are in a new place and still sometimes in the car but has also improved a lot from the beginning. Sometimes he even whines when he's trying to settle down for a nap and can't figure out where he wants to lay. At night he sleeps in a crate near me. Crying was sooo loud when we crated him that my daughter would wake up so the first several nights I put the crate up high so he was on the same level as my bed, kept the door open but would not let him out, and pet him so he would settle down. Put toys and treats in the crate during the day but he still did NOT want any part of it at night to sleep. Did manage to get the door shut after a few nights, and then moved the crate to the floor after a few more nights. Still have to put my hand on the crate sometimes to comfort him. Yeah, I know, I'm a sap!

Good luck with your new addition!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
1 > i fed my dog am., noonish, and pm.

2 > my dogs crate was in the livingroom. after
a couple of nights there was no whining.

3 > she whines and cries because she wants
what she wants and she already knows
she can get it from you. you'll teach her how to
behave with training and socializing.

I love her alot already but this constant babying is very demanding and sometimes frustrating. I'm doing my best to be patient.

Now for the pictures.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
how did you keep the door open but you didn't let your puppy out?

Crying was sooo loud when we crated him that my daughter would wake up so the first several nights I put the crate up high so he was on the same level as my bed, kept the door open but would not let him out, and pet him so he would settle down.

Good luck with your new addition!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you everyone for your responses. Since then i have moved myself and the puppy to the Basement, i live with my parents :( and they were complaining.

I set up her bed near mine, i have a bowl of water by the kitchen along with the bowl of food and Puppy Pad for when i can't take her out to the yard. (work)

Now some questions, is she too young to train yet? seems like she just wants to play all day and very stubborn, like a baby. Yes i know, she is one. Just want to know when is a good age to start.

I want her to listen to me, i dont want to have to repeat myself alot or really raise my voice. How do i make her know when i talk firm i mean business. Sorry for the long post but i had no idea a GSD took this much dedication!..

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
1 > are you crating your dog?

2 > training and socializing starts in many ways
as soon as you bring your dog home. it could start
from the time you pick the pup up. when you
crate the pup on the way home it starts. find
a puppy class.

3 > in the begining that's all you do
is repeat yourself. you do things over and over.
all dogs take dedication, consistency, training
and socializing. through your consistency
your dog will learn.

Thank you everyone for your responses. Since then i have moved myself and the puppy to the Basement, i live with my parents :( and they were complaining.

1 > I set up her bed near mine, i have a bowl of water by the kitchen along with the bowl of food and Puppy Pad for when i can't take her out to the yard. (work)

2 > Now some questions, is she too young to train yet? seems like she just wants to play all day and very stubborn, like a baby. Yes i know, she is one. Just want to know when is a good age to start.

3 > I want her to listen to me, i dont want to have to repeat myself alot or really raise my voice. How do i make her know when i talk firm i mean business. Sorry for the long post but i had no idea a GSD took this much dedication!..

·
Registered
19,157 Posts

Now for the pictures.

yes set up a feeding schedule. yes it is okay to have her bed next to yours (suggested in the crate). it will stop when she's comfortable and knows she's loved and its okay to be without siblings around constantly. You said it. She is a baby. You are in all essences raising a child. of course she wants to be constantly doing something. Not only is she learning every single second, she's also a GSD!!!! Good luck!!! and congrats on your new innocent!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts